by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Sep 2019by Diggers Reporter on 15 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 14 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 14 Sep 2019
by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 13 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 12 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 11 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 15 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 9 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 7 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 5 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
PF, UPND cadres clash in KasamaBy Thomas Mulenga on 4 May 2019
PF and UPND cadres have clashed in Kasama’s TAZARA area, Northern Province Police Commissioner Richard Mweene has confirmed.
In an interview with News Diggers, Mweene said the police are still investigating the reasons.
But UPND Northern Province chairperson Nathan Illunga told News Diggers it was in fact PF cadres sent by former UPND vice president Geoffrey Bwalya Mwamba who invaded the UPND offices in TAZARA area and attacked party officials who were having a meeting at the premise.
“I wish to confirm that suspected UPND and suspected PF cadres clashed at TAZARA area of Kasama. We moved in quickly as police to quench off the scuffle. As Police we are quite firm, we are on the ground, what we are saying is that we are not going to condone violence in any quarters. There is no need for people to fight. If there is a problem, people can either report to the police or go to court. Fighting in this era is barbaric. People should be civilized enough to use civilized channels to solve problems,” Mweene said.
“As police we are not going to allow that, and even the people here are saying they are not interested in violence, they are interested in development. So anybody coming from anywhere to come and bring violence in the province is not welcome and as police we will rise to the occasion to quail any violence whatsoever.”
He said all those involved would be arrested.
“We are currently on the ground investigating, whoever is involved will have to be taken to court. We don’t know yet what led to the clash but it could just be that there could be two or three people who have quarreled and they want to use people to fight battles they don’t know. Whoever is involved will be taken to court,” said commissioner Mweene.
But Illunga blamed the clash on GBM’s thugs who attacked UPND members.
“Actually it was not a clash, a clash is where you meet maybe on a neutral ground but what happened was that UPND members were meeting at our offices in TAZARA; the police are aware of our offices and they approved these establishments and we meet there for any meeting. So as our officials were meeting, a group of thugs from GBM’s group, went to attack them; in a wall fence. They found themselves there and attacked our members. So it was GBM’s thugs who went to attack our members,” said Illunga.
About Thomas Mulenga
Thomas Mulenga has a special interest in political news, current affairs, community and education news.
- Registrar of Societies playing foolish politics – NAREP - 31 May 2019
- Lungu committed to delivering health care services – Chilufya - 31 May 2019
- Austerity measures a sham – Kambwili - 31 May 2019
- NAREP opposes cancellation of agricultural shows in 3 provinces - 30 May 2019
- Kang’ombe’s victory in Sesheke petition a lesson to PF – UPND - 30 May 2019
- If you don’t want to refine our constitution, we will refine it - Lungu (2,622 views)
- I'm not a drug dealer, I don't know Goswami, says Findlay (2,606 views)
- 4 Lusaka men sue Kaizer Zulu for kidnapping and beating them (1,463 view)
- Kambwili is already a dead man, no one can kill him – Mumbi (1,310 view)
- Govt deports Top Star's CEO (1,266 view)
- It makes us sad that we can't stick to load shedding schedule - Zesco
- Switch to cheaper food, Wina urges Zambians
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe
- It's impossible to reduce mealie meal prices, brace for harder times, warns GBM
- Chipolopolo had horror moment in Brazzaville - FAZ
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend