- by Mukosha Funga on 25 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 25 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 25 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Lubinda takes back bench in prank resignation at ParliamentBy Sipilisiwe Ncube and Julia Malunga on 19 Jul 2019
Minister of Justice Given Lubinda yesterday pulled a prank on his fellow MPs in Parliament by taking a back bench to provoke debate after a letter purported to have been written by him went round suggesting that he had resigned from his position as Justice Minster.
This prompted Cheembe Member of Parliament Sebastian Kopulande to raise on a point of order, asking why the minister who earlier sat in the back bench following his resignation had moved to sit with other Cabinet Ministers.
“There have been recent events concerning the attack on the honourable Minister of Justice and yesterday a letter extensively authored by the said Minister of Justice went viral on social media. We come to the house today, Honourable Speaker, and the said minister is sitting on the back bench while the letter authored by him states that he has resigned from government, Your Honour. I believe that matters of government are matters of high seriousness. Is the leader in government business in order to remain quiet and not advice this house on the status of the said minister of Justice who has now come to sit next to me in the back bench when he is supposed to be in the front bench I seek your serious point of ruling, Mr Speaker,” said Kopulande.
In his ruling, the Speaker said: “My ruling is that normally when changes of this sort are made, I am one of the first addressees and for those of you who have been affected in the past, you know how promptly we make changes especially sitting arrangements. So I can confirm that where the Minister of Justice is now currently sitting, that is the right place.”
Earlier in an interview, Lubinda told News Diggers that the resignation letter was not authored by him, saying the day he will resign, the press will be invited.
“When I have a statement like that, I will invite the press. The press will not follow me. And I don’t get involved in rumor-mongering. Leave the rumor-mongering to those who enjoy rumor-mongering [and] writing stories which are fake,” said Lubinda.
The fake resignation letter quoted Lubinda resigning on grounds that the beating ordeal in Kabwata has troubled his personal and political life.
“I wish to tender my resignation from my ministerial portfolio as Justice Minister. The events of the last few days have left me deeply troubled both in my personal and political career. I have deep reflected and after consultation with my family, I have made this conscious decision to tender my resignation from government. I remain a very loyal Patriotic Front party member of parliament serving the people of Kabwata Constituency. I am deeply thankful for the opportunity you afforded me to serve the people of Zambia in that very demanding portfolio. I wish to thank my fellow cabinet colleagues, MPs from both the ruling PF and the opposition. May I also take this opportunity to thank the members of staff at the Ministry of Justice who we developed a close working family together. I thank my God almighty for my life and service to the nation. Your humble servant, Given Lubinda, MP, Kabwata Constituency,” read the fake letter which bore a forged signature.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube has a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- K1,500 surcharge for CBU students a fundraising venture – Kabwita - 12 Aug 2019
- PF has opened overnight street vending along Lusaka’s Lumumba Rd – Moonga - 12 Aug 2019
- Oasis Forum calls for withdrawal of Constitution bill - 9 Aug 2019
- Africa needs about US $660bn annually to achieve SDGs – UNCA - 9 Aug 2019
- Africa needs home-grown solutions for its challenges – Lungu - 8 Aug 2019
About Julia Malunga
Julia is a curious journalist who is determined to unearth the truth and is good at criminal investigations.
Email: julia [at] diggers [dot] news
- High mealie meal prices are an indictment on Lungu – Nalumango - 24 Aug 2019
- TIZ asks Lungu to cancel Forest 27 plots, says ACC must investigate minister for abuse - 23 Aug 2019
- Nondo’s defection shocks NAREP - 23 Aug 2019
- Unscrupulous retailers causing high mealie meal prices – Dora - 23 Aug 2019
- CSPR tips govt on how to deal with hunger crisis - 22 Aug 2019
- Don’t worry Musa, Saasa; the corrupt defend each other (1,976 view)
- LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contempt (1,409 view)
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini (1,048 view)
- LAZ warns Speaker, MPs of contempt over Bill 10 (959 views)
- Indeed, the Speaker is being mischievous on Amendment Bill 10 (823 views)
- LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contempt
- Luapula man beats wife to death for being drunk
- Don’t worry Musa, Saasa; the corrupt defend each other
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend