- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Chongwe tips Lungu on implementing people driven constitutionBy Ulande Nkomesha on 26 Feb 2020
Former Member of the Technical Committee of the 2012 Zambian Constitution Rodger Chongwe SC has urged President Edgar Lungu to publicise the 2012 Constitution report which was produced by his committee so that Zambians can compared the document to Bill 10 and decide which one is the most thoughtful effort at producing a people driven constitution.
Chongwe, who is also a former minister of justice and member of parliament for Mandevu, recalled that the PF discarded some of the recommendations in the 2012 report, while adopting a few which Bill 10 now sought to repeal.
In a statement sent exclusively to News Diggers, Monday, Chongwe was commenting on remarks by Leader of the Opposition Jack Mwiimbu who said Bill 10 was a PF document.
“The 2012 Constitution was presented to President Sata in 2015. It was arrived at with great cost after the most comprehensive ever, country wide constitutional consultation with the public; held at District, Provincial and National level. In other words, the draft constitutional document was in fact approved by the National Constituent Assembly here at Lusaka. It was accompanied by a report. The 2012 Draft Constitution was binned by the PF in favour of parts it selected, some of which it currently wants to repeal,” Chongwe recalled.
“The then Minister of Justice, Dr. Simbyakula announced that the Government will cherry pick parts of the document for presentation and enactment by the National Assembly. Part enacted was the majoritarian presidency election which Bill 10 now boots out. It is hard to believe that what is now being put forward as a serious effort to improve our Constitution is anything as meaningful as the Draft presented to the late President Michael Sata in 2015.”
He challenged President Lungu to publish in full the document which was presented to president Michael Sata by the Technical Committee of the 2012 Zambian Constitution in 2015 under the aegis of the former Chief Justice of Zambia, Justice Annel Silungwe SC.
“Please let the current President publish in full the document which was presented to his predecessor in 2015. He may as well when doing this explain why the document was not enacted into the current Constitution of Zambia. This is the document in which the Zambian people put an end to by-elections by introducing proportional representation. All the provinces overwhelmingly voted for proportional representation to replace the current first past the post-election system; the only province that voted no to the proportional electoral representation system of elections was the Northern Province,” Chongwe stated.
“Why doesn’t the PF Government make a trial effort to print, publicise and distribute the 2012 Constitution Report so that all Zambians can decide for themselves which is the most thoughtful effort which was made by and large without partisan interference; i.e. Bill 10 or the 2012 Draft Report.”
He noted that at the moment, political parties and many other thinking individuals and organisations were not convinced about what government was doing on Bill 10.
“That way, the Government will attract kudos for being fair to its citizens. It is apparent that not only political parties but many other thinking individuals and organisations are not convinced with what the Government is doing on this issue. The process that produced the 2015 Constitutional Report took into account submissions and contributions made to the Committee by all the then existing political parties,” stated Chongwe.
About Ulande Nkomesha
Ulande is a reporter with an experience in radio broadcasting. He loves following current affairs and interacting with politicians.
Email: ulande [at] diggers [dot] news
- Habitat urges govt to improve living conditions in unplanned settlements - 7 Apr 2020
- Free-falling kwacha suffocating businesses – Muhanya Solar - 6 Apr 2020
- We won’t reduce load shedding despite COVID-19 – Zesco - 3 Apr 2020
- Milupi wonders how govt will pay newly recruited nurses, doctors with depleted treasury - 3 Apr 2020
- DEC nabs 2 E/Province businessmen for money laundering - 3 Apr 2020
- It’s inhuman for Chanda to undermine HH’s donation of soap, sanitisers – UPND (3,326 views)
- Is Kampyongo suggesting that slim people, like his appointing authority are HIV suspects? (2,807 views)
- UPND blames Nangula loss on COVID-19 (2,682 views)
- We’re considering asking landlords to forego rentals amid COVID-19 – Siliya (2,657 views)
- Kampyongo's mockery of people on ARVs unacceptable - NAC (2,275 views)
- COVID-19 is airborne? Why is Ministry of Health misleading us?
- Is Kampyongo suggesting that slim people, like his appointing authority are HIV suspects?
- We’re already on lockdown – Lungu
- Introduce SI to stop landlords from collecting rentals, Changala urges govt
- Why whip patrons if there's no lockdown?
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «April 2020»
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- It’s illegal for police to whip citizens – Mweetwa
- UNZA owes ZRA, others K2.8bn, as audit reveals mismanagement of funds
- PF’s Nangula victory a 2021 sample – Mundubile
- Tutwa refutes UPND’s Bill 10 bribery claims
- We’re considering asking landlords to forego rentals amid COVID-19 – Siliya
- Govt, FRA’s deal with millers failed to cut mealie meal prices – IAPRI
- Habitat urges govt to improve living conditions in unplanned settlements
- SACCORD hails PF, UPND for peaceful Nangula poll
- ZRA’s tax audit on media houses within its mandate but wrongly timed – MISA
- Kamusoko, Mangani on path to recovery
- Govt must carry out robust awareness campaign against COVID-19 – CSPR
- Siwale welcomes FIFA’s intervention in FAZ wrangles
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
[search_popup]Send this to a friend