- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Oct 2017by Linda Jere on 21 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 21 Oct 2017by Osward Sichone in Kafue on 21 Oct 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 21 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 18 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Oct 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by By Dr Canisius Banda on 9 Oct 2017by Brig Gen Godfrey Miyanda on 3 Oct 2017by Chishimba Kambwili on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017
- by Joseph Mwenda on 19 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Oct 2017by Aleksander Pichkur on 16 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
Mining dependence has affected agric, tourism – MwanakatweBy Charles Mafa on 27 Apr 2017
The Minister of Commerce, Trade and Industry Margaret Mwanakatwe says continued dependency on the mining industry as a major driver of the economy has left other sectors such as manufacturing, agriculture, tourism and ICTs largely underdeveloped.
Mwanakatwe said this at a press conference this morning where she announced a two-day national economic and business forum to be held on the 2nd and 3rd May at Mulungushi International Conference Centre in Lusaka.
She said the conference will bring together 570 guests.
“Our continued dependency on the mining industry as a major driver of the economy has left other sectors such as manufacturing, agriculture, tourism and ICTs largely underdeveloped. This has led to our economy’s growth trajectory tied almost exclusively to the world commodity prices which in turn makes our macroeconomic environment highly vulnerable to external shocks,” Mwanakatwe said.
“It is for this reason that initiatives for a cross section of stakeholders to dialogue are encouraged so that together, we can come up with solutions that will put industrialization agenda on the right footing.”
Mwanakatwe said government’s role was to facilitate business growth by creating the right environment for investment and opening market access possibilities.
“We can only do that effectively if we strengthen the relationship between the private sector, government and key stakeholders such as academia and cooperating partners,” she said.
The Minister said the deliberations at the conference will be recorded and compiled into a report that will culminate into a private sector policy document that will be handed over to government.
Blackdot, advertising firm Chief Executive Officer David Kombe said “the conference provides an opportunity for Zambians to find solutions to Zambian problems”.
“We believe that as Zambians, we have enough experience, enough knowledge and we have enough resources to be able to come up with solutions for Zambian problems,” said Kombe.
And ZACCI Board Member Laurian Haangala said the role of the Zambia Chamber of Commerce and Industry is to ensure that both government and the private sector work together. He said the upcoming conference provides an opportunity for all the key economic players to look at the two focus issues of diversification and industrilisation.
The conference which is under the theme – achieving inclusive growth and development through diversification and industrialization is sponsored by various organisations such as AVIC Construction, ZESCO, Development Bank of Zambia, African Grey Insurance and Indo-Zambia Bank. It is being organised by ZACCI and Blackdot.
About Charles Mafa
Charles Mafa is an Award winning investigative journalist, columnist and blogger.
Email: charles [at] diggers [dot] news
- Chinese rhino smugglers named - 15 Aug 2017
- Govt confirms arrest of Chinese smugglers - 31 Jul 2017
- Zambia arrests 3 Chinese, 2 locals for possessing 25 rhino horns - 29 Jul 2017
- Kwacha down to 8.8 per dollar - 13 Jul 2017
- Increased Zesco tariffs have caused rise in inflation – CSO - 1 Jul 2017
- ConCourt was inconsistent in handling Presidential Petition - JCC
- We are not a university for the poor - UNZA
- VP says Mulusa will be disciplined for likening fire tenders to wheelbarrows
- It was a PF provincial rally not a day of prayer - Kambwili
- Bishop Joshua Banda announces auction of Messi's jersey at Day of Prayer
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «October 2017»
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend