- by Mukosha Funga on 20 Aug 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Aug 2017by Joseph Mwenda on 20 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Aug 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Diggers Reporter on 20 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 18 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Aug 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 18 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 17 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Thomas Mulenga on 20 Aug 2017by Joseph Mwenda on 18 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 3 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 31 Jul 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017by Dr. Vernon J Mwaanga on 25 Jul 2017by David Julian Wightman on 8 Jul 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 6 Jul 2017
PAC chides RDA after touring substandard roadsBy Mirriam Chabala on 28 May 2017
The parliamentary Public Accounts Committee (PAC) has directed the Road Development Agency (RDA) to stop the wastage of road funds by making sure that contractors and engineering consultants perform up to acceptable standards.
The latest Auditor General’s report has cited RDA for poor contract management which resulted into over procurement of projects, poor works, incurring of interests and delays in engaging consultants among other weaknesses.
PAC acting Chairperson Cornelius Mweetwa, acting Auditor General Ron Mwamba, RDA officials, and members of the parliamentary select committee and government officials visited several roads which were highlighted in the Auditors report.
In a statement after the site visits, Head of Public Relations in the office of the Auditor General Ellen Chikale said Mweetwa warned RDA to ensure quality roads are being constructed for Zambians.
“The PAC committee yesterday inspected the 91km of D145 Road from Great East Road at T004 at Laungwa Bridge (Feira). Acting Committee chairperson who is also Choma Member of Parliament Mr Cornelius Mweetwa, observed that the interest of the committee was to get a product that would serve the people of Zambia for a long time,” Chikale said.
“Mr Mweetwa said it was unacceptable for a road to fall within two years of its construction as was the case in the Luangwa road. He said Zambians deserved good quality roads and called on RDA to have a mechanism that detects failures on the road even before they get out of hand so that costs can be minimised.”
Meanwhile, Mwambwa feared that government was spending unnecessary funds on locally purchased construction material purported to be imported.
“Acting Auditor General Mr Ron Mwambwa said the tests his Office conducted on the roads during the audits were done in the presence of RDA and the contractor and the results were agreed upon by all parties. However, Mr Mwambwa was concerned that from the road inspection carried out, government may be paying for both the sub base and base as imported materials when in fact only the sub base was imported,” stated Chikale.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam Chabala is a Zambian journalist who covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Police block HH release celebrations in Western Province - 20 Aug 2017
- Mandatory HIV testing unconstitutional – PeP - 17 Aug 2017
- Ndola Police stop “HH freedom” celebrations - 17 Aug 2017
- Compulsory HIV testing is against human rights – FDD - 16 Aug 2017
- Lufwanyama toasts PF empowerment - 15 Aug 2017
- There’s more to UNZA students than stone-throwing, says Deputy VC
- Allowing prisoners to vote will bring confusion- FDD
- Police block HH release celebrations in Western Province
- HH relives memories from prison: We slept on the cold floor, used buckets as toilets
- Peace is indispensable to development, Lungu tells SADC
Weekly Most Digged
- «August 2017»
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend