- by Mukosha Funga on 16 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Dec 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Dec 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 14 Dec 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 14 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 13 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 11 Dec 2017by William Chileshe on 8 Dec 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 16 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 14 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 13 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 12 Dec 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Editor on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 8 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 6 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 2 Dec 2017
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 12 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 5 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 30 Nov 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 29 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 26 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017
Minister erred: Zambia’s external debt is $7.2bn – KandetaBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 22 Jun 2017
Ministry of Finance Spokesperson Chileshe Kandeta says minister Felix Mutati made a mistake when reading the state of the economy speech to parliament.
In an interview with News Diggers! Kandeta said it was not possible that Zambia could accumulate external dept exceeding US$10 billion within five months.
“It was a slip [of the tongue], it’s US$7.2 billion not US$17 billion. He was looking at the statement, but you know figures… there can always be a slip,” Kandeta explained.
“It’s not possible, 17 billion is not possible. Where could the US$10 billion have gone? That is not a small amount of money, so that has to be corrected” he wondered.
During the state of the economy address in the National Assembly yesterday, Mutati said Zambia’s external debt had swelled to US$17 billion by May 2017 from US$6.9 billion in December 2016.
“Mr Speaker, Zambia’s external debt stock as at the end of May 2017 increased to US $ 17.2 billion from US $ 6.9 billion in December 2016. The increase on stock was on account of new disbursements. The domestic debt stock was 38.6 billion in May 2017 compared to 33 billion in December 2016,” said Mutati.
Take a listen:
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube is a Zambian journalist with a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- New US Envoy pledges support towards electoral reforms - 15 Dec 2017
- I respect Lungu but I will insult him if he wants me to – Musenge - 14 Dec 2017
- PF cadres attack NDC officials at 5fm - 14 Dec 2017
- ZAM disapproves Pilato’s Koswe Mumpoto song - 13 Dec 2017
- COBUSU members have been suspended for causing riots – Luo - 13 Dec 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «December 2017»
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend