- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Maize floor price fraudulent – KabimbaBy Mirriam Chabala on 3 Aug 2017
Rainbow Party Secretary General Wynter Kabimba says the K60 buying price for a 50Kg bag of maize is fraudulent.
Speaking when he featured on Millennium Radio’s The Interview programme yesterday, Kabimba observed that President Edgar Lungu would not intervene this year simply because he did not need votes.
“The buying price of a 50kg bag of maize set by FRA is a fraud and let me explain why it is a fraud. Last year which was a year of an election, the floor price announced by FRA was K75 per 50 kg bag but because Edgar [President Lungu] realised that it was an election year, he personally intervened and said FRA or government is going to buy maize from the farmers at K85 because he wanted their vote but this year when he doesn’t want their vote, when he thinks that their vote is not coming until 2021. I watched him at the Airport when he was going and I was saddened and got disappointed to hear him say ‘well, this is a free market, this is a liberalized market. Let the people sell to the highest bidder we can’t interfere in this it’s not the job of government’ so today it has become not a job of government because he doesn’t need the vote from a farmer, it was the job of government last year because he needed the vote from that farmer,” Kabimba said.
He also insisted that expelled Roan PF member of parliament was free to join the Rainbow Party.
“We in the Rainbow Party welcome everybody in the party but we have ideals and values that everybody must subscribe to. So if Dr Kambwili or Mr Kambwili or CK, Junior Cobra is prepared to subscribe to those ideals without biting us since he is a Cobra, he is welcome and everybody is welcome to join the Rainbow Party as long as you subscribe to the ideals of the party,” Kabimba said.
Kabimba however said he did not take Kambwili seriously as he never exposed any corruption in government when he served as Minister.
“I had never heard ba Kambwili while he was eating in PF tell this nation that there was corruption in PF. At no time ever, even just in a whisper did he tell this country that there was corruption in PF. If anything, what he told the nation was that Edgar Lungu was a very humble leader and that Edgar Lungu was the best leader that he has ever seen in his life. What he told the nation was that Edgar Lungu was the man that he wanted to support. He was in the forefront of going round even during the period before the general conference of PF in 2015, he was in the forefront of going to harass Guy Scott at that time who was President of the party and acting President, he was in the queue that followed Guy to his farm to go and harass him to say that Edgar Lungu was the best leader,” Kabimba said.
“So, we in the Rainbow Party and I myself have got problems listening to those that would cry foul when the plate in which they have been eating is empty, so I can’t take him seriously. I don’t know what other members of the public think but for me, having worked with him and listened to him that time, listening to him in the post-Michael Sata era after Michael’s death and listening to him now, I can’t take the man seriously.”
And Kabimba charged that President Lungu abused his powers by declaring a Threatened State of Emergency.
“The President has abused is powers of proclaiming the so-called Threatened State of Emergency because these incidents [of fire] have continued and like we had seen there was a fire in Chilenje market yesterday that was as a result of some charcoal which was left smoldering there, then there was a fire in Kabwe General hospital just about a week or so ago. So unless the government can tell us the identities of those people they have apprehended and tell us the evidence they have against them, the rights of those suspects in custody and those of us that are outside whose rights have been restricted, are being abused by government,” said Kabimba.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- COVID-19 convolvulus pandemic must be nipped in the bud – Mpombo - 8 Apr 2020
- PF must urgently resolve Lungu’s 2021 eligibility to avoid chaos, urges AVAP - 8 Apr 2020
- PF’s Nangula victory a 2021 sample – Mundubile - 7 Apr 2020
- Tutwa refutes UPND’s Bill 10 bribery claims - 7 Apr 2020
- SACCORD hails PF, UPND for peaceful Nangula poll - 7 Apr 2020
- We’re considering asking landlords to forego rentals amid COVID-19 – Siliya (6,609 views)
- UPND blames Nangula loss on COVID-19 (4,101 views)
- It’s inhuman for Chanda to undermine HH’s donation of soap, sanitisers – UPND (3,737 views)
- Is Kampyongo suggesting that slim people, like his appointing authority are HIV suspects? (3,216 views)
- Kampyongo's mockery of people on ARVs unacceptable - NAC (2,952 views)
- We’re considering asking landlords to forego rentals amid COVID-19 – Siliya
- COVID-19 is airborne? Why is Ministry of Health misleading us?
- Is Kampyongo suggesting that slim people, like his appointing authority are HIV suspects?
- We’re already on lockdown – Lungu
- Introduce SI to stop landlords from collecting rentals, Changala urges govt
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «April 2020»
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- BoZ’s K10bn cash injection insufficient to jump-start economy, says Kanyama
- LAZ postpones elections
- We’ve no reason to falsify COVID-19 statistics – Chilufya
- There’re no human rights now, we just beat – Lusambo
- Govt warns of stern action if Mopani goes ahead with planned shut down of its mines
- COVID-19 convolvulus pandemic must be nipped in the bud – Mpombo
- AG institutes probe into alleged abuse of funds at City Market
- Tax audit of media houses may benefit industry – ZRA
- PF must urgently resolve Lungu’s 2021 eligibility to avoid chaos, urges AVAP
- Jailing of PF cadre who assaulted journalist elates MISA, FPI
- ADVERT: Consultancy Research on the effectiveness of social media as a tool of opening up spaces for women leaders’ participation in Zambia.
- Kampyongo must apologize for stigmatising people living with HIV, demands Luonde
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
[search_popup]Send this to a friend