- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 17 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Dec 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Dec 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 14 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 13 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 11 Dec 2017by William Chileshe on 8 Dec 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 16 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 14 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 13 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 12 Dec 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Editor on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 8 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 6 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 2 Dec 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 26 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017
Judge Nkonde stops LAZ from joining Post caseBy Elias Banda on 5 May 2017
High Court judge Sunday Nkonde has thrown out an application by the Law Association of Zambia to join Post Newspaper liquidation case, describing the application as lacking merit.
Judge Nkonde in his ruling said the application by LAZ to join proceedings as amicus curiae might just delay the disposal of the proceedings to the prejudice of the parties.
He said the nature of the proceedings required the disposal of the matter expeditiously.
Judge Nkonde also explained that the lawyers representing Post Newspapers were learned counsels with many years of experience at the bar and therefore they were very competent to represent without assistance from LAZ.
Judge Nkonde said LAZ must at all times endeavor to let its members engage in adversarial advocacy independently.
“LAZ needs no reminder that is should be in the forefront of educating the public that courts have mechanisms established over a long period of time for correcting errors, imperfections and misapplication of the law in proceedings through applications, appeals etc by aggrieved parties,” said judge Nkonde.
“These mechanisms if undermined quickly eat up the very fabric of the rule of law as an important component of a democratic society. The inevitable consequence is that anarchy wins.”
Judge Nkonde however said he found the context of the response in the affidavit in opposition as at times very personal and unnecessary.
About Elias Banda
Elias Banda is interested in lifestyle and human interest stories and he brings a unique perspective.
Email: elias [at] diggers [dot] news
- Kamondo urges ConCourt to dismiss Masumba’s appeal - 29 May 2017
- Keith Mukata’s ‘wife’ attracts attention at court - 19 May 2017
- Judge Nkonde stops LAZ from joining Post case - 5 May 2017
- ZRA wants to hide corruption, UPP tells Court - 2 May 2017
- Court refuses to quash Nchima’s personation charge - 21 Apr 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «December 2017»
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend