- by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Aug 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Aug 2017by Tenson Mkhala on 17 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Aug 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Diggers Reporter on 16 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 13 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 10 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 10 Aug 2017
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 15 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Aug 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 17 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Aug 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Mukosha Funga on 3 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 31 Jul 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 30 Jul 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Jul 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017by Dr. Vernon J Mwaanga on 25 Jul 2017by David Julian Wightman on 8 Jul 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 6 Jul 2017
High Court reserves ruling in HH’s “unlawful arrest” caseBy Mukosha Funga on 12 Jun 2017
The Lusaka High Court has reserved ruling to Friday in a matter in which the state asked it to stay Hakainde Hichilema’s petition over his unlawful arrest saying he was abusing the court process.
Last week, HH filed two separate petitions in the High Court and ConCourt asking them to strike off provisions of the law which bar courts from granting bail to suspects charged with murder, treason, aggravated robbery and other capital offenses.
HH is also seeking monetary compensation for unlawful arrest in the High Court.
HH and his co-accused; Hamusonde Hamaleka, Muleya Hachinda, Laston Mulilanduba, Pretorius Haloba and Wallace Chakawa asked both courts to strike off Section 183 (1) of the Criminal Procedure Code (CPC) which does not allow any court to grant bail to those charged with treason, aggravated robbery and other capital offenses.
But when the matter came up for hearing in chambers today, the Attorney General, through Chief State Advocate Joel Simachela from the Attorney General’s chambers applied to stay proceedings in the High Court due to duplicity of a similar matter filed in the Constitutional Court and abuse of the court process.
High court Betty Mug’omba then reserved the ruling to June 16.
Hichilema was arrested on April 11 for allegedly blocking the presidential motorcade in Mongu during the Kuomboka ceremony and plotting to declare himself Head of State at the same event.
About Mukosha Funga
Interested in good governance and youth empowerment.
- ZANASU drags Luo to court over threats to ban students unions - 17 Aug 2017
- Minister explains mandatory HIV testing policy - 17 Aug 2017
- HH’s release first step towards restoring democracy in Zambia – Maimane - 17 Aug 2017
- Freeing HH proves Judiciary is independent – PF - 16 Aug 2017
- It is not a nolle: Treason case has been dropped in public interest – Mwiimbu - 16 Aug 2017
Weekly Most Digged
- «August 2017»
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend