- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
ConCourt throws out ZANASU’s case against LuoBy Diggers Reporter on 30 Aug 2017
The Constitutional Court has thrown out a matter in which the Zambia National Students Union sued Nkandu Luo over her intentions to abolish students unions saying it has no jurisdiction to hear the matter.
On August 17, 2017 ZANASU secretary general Wickson Mwenya petitioned the Constitutional Court over Prof Luo’s threats to ban student unionism.
But the petition has been dismissed by the ConCourt for “want of jurisdiction”.
In dismissing the petition, judge Palan Mulonda said the petition is a proper matter for the High Court to determine as the issues raised pertained to the Bill of Rights.
He has agreed with the state that matters concerning rights and freedoms under the Bill of rights are a preserve of the High Court.
The State, which was the second respondent, had argued that enforcement of articles under the Bill of Rights was assigned to the High Court.
The Petitioners sought an adjournment to seek legal representation but it was not entertained by the court as it was submitted late.
ZANASU wanted the court to declare Prof Luo’s intentions as illegal, unconstitutional and therefore null and void.
About Diggers Reporter
The Diggers Reporter brings you all the latest news.
- Castle Lager postpones 2020 Africa 5s due to COVID-19 - 27 Mar 2020
- Police nab ‘Spax’ for murder - 2 Mar 2020
- Mazabuka mob drags suspect out of hospital, kills him - 20 Feb 2020
- Cops sustain injuries in N/West riots - 1 Feb 2020
- Vedanta warns Milingo against defying court order, selling mine assets - 29 Jan 2020
- COVID-19 is airborne? Why is Ministry of Health misleading us? (12,544 views)
- I am under quarantine, but fine - Davies Chama (4,485 views)
- Kampyongo says accusing him of being in quarantine is like alleging that Diggers editor is HIV positive (4,087 views)
- Why whip patrons if there's no lockdown? (3,413 views)
- We’re already on lockdown – Lungu (3,304 views)
- Govt will start distributing free masks – Chilufya
- Absa re-opens Centro Mall branch
- Kampyongo, Ng’andu released from quarantine after testing negative to COVID-19 – Chilufya
- COVID-19 is airborne? Why is Ministry of Health misleading us?
- Kampyongo says accusing him of being in quarantine is like alleging that Diggers editor is HIV positive
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «April 2020»
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
[search_popup]Send this to a friend