by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 12 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 11 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 16 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 9 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 7 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Police arrest fugitive accused of stealing Milupi’s maizeBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 30 May 2018
Police in Lusaka have arrested a deputy director of a company called Food Agency Zambia, an accomplice to Hendricks Nyambe who is accused of swindling ADD president Charles Milupi’s maize.
Mercy Phiri who had been on the run is jointly charged with Nyambe for allegedly stealing Milupi’s maize valued at K656,040.
Phiri 27, was arrested at Levy Junction Mall on Monday after she attempted to swindle a Chinese national by saying that she had Soya beans worth K200,000 when in fact not.
In this matter, it is alleged that Hendricks Nyambe, a Director of Food Agency Zambia and his deputy, Phiri, on March 7, 2018 in Nkeyema district did steal 312,040 kilograms of white maize belonging to Milupi.
When the matter came up, Tuesday, Nyambe was not present in court but Phiri was.
The state made an application that Phiri is transferred from police custody and taken to prison as they waited for plea to take place on June 21.
Phiri interrupted saying she wanted her lawyer to be present in court.
“I’m requesting that my lawyer can be here because I wasn’t told that I will be here,” she said.
However magistrate Nsunge Chanda reminded her that she had been on the run.
She said since the matter was coming up on June 21, Phiri had enough time to inform her lawyer.
“You have just been arrested. You were on the run when the other person (Nyambe) was apprehended. Since this matter is coming up on June 21, they have made an application because you can’t be staying at the police [station] up to 21st . They don’t cook nsima at police. So they are asking me to sign a warrant that you be kept at prison so that you should be joined to the co-accused on the 21st. You have all this time to inform your lawyer. The matter will come up on June 21, thats when the charge will be read to you while the other person is present,” she said.
Magistrate Chanda adjourned the matter to June 13 for mention and June 21 for plea as Phiri was remanded.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Airtel agent in court for defiling wife’s sisters - 16 Sep 2019
- British man in court for assaulting Zambian cleaner girlfriend - 16 Sep 2019
- 4 Lusaka men sue Kaizer Zulu for kidnapping and beating them - 13 Sep 2019
- Judge Nkonde asks ConCourt to dismiss M’membe’s application for review of costs - 13 Sep 2019
- If Nevers is allowed to lead the party, there’ll be no MMD, witness tells court - 13 Sep 2019
- We warned Lungu over his friendship with Valden Findlay (3,220 views)
- How will judges rule on Bill 10 after submitting to Parley? (2,008 views)
- Govt deports Top Star's CEO (1,728 view)
- Findlay knows Goswami; I've been in their presence before, reveals Kaweche Kaunda (1,699 view)
- I'm not a drug dealer, I don't know Goswami, says Findlay (1,087 view)
- It makes us sad that we can't stick to load shedding schedule - Zesco
- Switch to cheaper food, Wina urges Zambians
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe
- It's impossible to reduce mealie meal prices, brace for harder times, warns GBM
- Chipolopolo had horror moment in Brazzaville - FAZ
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend