- by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Lusaka man found with case to answer in ‘idiot’ defilement caseBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 10 Jan 2019
A 13-year-old mentally-challenged juvenile who was allegedly defiled by a 29-year-old man of John Laing Compound last year failed to give her testimony before the Lusaka Magistrates’ Court.
But the Court put the accused on his defence after noting that a prima facie case had been established against him.
This is due to the fact that she has never been to a school of sign language and can only communicate home vocabulary.
In view of this, the prosecution has closed its case and the Court has found the accused with a case to answer and has since placed him on his defence.
In this matter, Peter Kombe, a machine operator, is charged with defilement of idiots or imbecile, contrary to the laws of Zambia.
It is alleged that Kombe, on unknown dates but between October 10, 2018, and October 11, 2018, in Lusaka, had unlawful carnal knowledge of a girl under the age of 16 years knowing she was an ‘idiot’.
It alleged that on the material day, Kombe had the victim to himself the whole night without consent, and allegedly defiled her.
And when the matter came up for continued trial before Magistrate Alice Walusiku, Wednesday, the victim was called to the stand to give her testimony on how she was allegedly defiled by Kombe.
However, when examined, a sign language expert Kim Kakoma observed that the victim was unable to communicate using the official sign language.
“I have examined the victim, my observation is that her language is deferred; meaning she communicates in the home vocabulary and that she has people who specifically understand her,” Kakoma said.
“I tried alternative ways of communicating to her, but it was not possible to understand each other because the language is strange to her.”
Magistrate Walusiku then said: “having observed that she’s unable to communicate, therefore, no evidence will be taken from the victim.”
At this point, the State said they were closing their prosecution case.
Thereafter, Magistrate Walusiku put the accused on his defence after noting that a prima facie case had been established against him.
Kombe then informed the Court that he would give sworn evidence and would call no witnesses.
The matter has since adjourned to January 24, 2019, for his defence as he remains remanded in custody.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit - 24 Aug 2019
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president - 24 Aug 2019
- ConCourt has jurisdiction to hear my petition, submits Lundazi Central losing candidate - 23 Aug 2019
- Pathologist testifies in ritual killing case - 23 Aug 2019
- Mwitwa sues Tutwa for defamation of character - 23 Aug 2019
- Mwenye's corruption remarks irk PF (3,603 views)
- ConCourt has no powers to hear Bill 10 - Kalaluka (2,569 views)
- If austerity measures were working, we wouldn't be having these problems – BoZ (2,348 views)
- Zesco announces increased load-shedding (1,663 view)
- LAZ warns Speaker, MPs of contempt over Bill 10 (1,339 view)
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
- High mealie meal prices are an indictment on Lungu – Nalumango
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend