by Omphile Ndlovu on 21 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 21 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 20 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 20 Sep 2019
by Stuart Lisulo on 19 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 17 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 17 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Mazuba Muleya on 18 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 17 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 20 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 19 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 17 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Lusaka woman gets 3 years for stealing babyBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 7 May 2019
The Lusaka Magistrates’ Court has sentenced a 24-year-old hair dresser of Lusaka’s Chilenje South to three years’ simple imprisonment for stealing a baby after she admitted committing the offence.
Mary Sakala, who was charged with child stealing, is said to have lied to her husband that she was pregnant and gave birth to a baby boy.
Particulars of the offence in the matter were that on April 12, 2019, in Lusaka, Sakala stole a child from Memory Kasangali being her mother who had lawful care or charge of the said child under the age of 16.
And when the matter came up before Magistrate Felix Kaoma for plea, Monday, Sakala pleaded guilty to the charge.
Facts in the matter are that sometime in 2016, Sakala met Kasangali (complainant) in Kamwala South when she was living with her cousin, Lillian Shawa.
In the same year, Sakala moved to Mtendere where she got married in 2018.
The facts further stated that to-date, Sakala and her husband do not have a child.
On April 13 this year, Sakala phoned her cousin Shawa and requested for Kasangali’s number.
Asked why she wanted the number, Sakala told her cousin that she wanted to buy clothes for Kasangali’s baby.
On the same day, Kasangali woke up around 08:00 and changed the baby’s clothes.
While doing so, she received a phone call from Sakala, who asked her to go to the roadside, saying she had brought things for the baby.
She left the baby asleep and went to meet Sakala at the roadside, but did not find her.
Kasangali made several phone calls, but Sakala never picked up.
When she rushed back home, she found her baby missing.
After a fruitless search, she reported the matter to police whose investigations led to Sakala’s arrest.
The baby was found at the house of Sakala’s mother in Mtendere.
Investigations revealed that Sakala lied to her husband that she was pregnant and gave birth to a baby boy.
In mitigation, Sakala asked the court to be lenient because she was taking care of her grandmother.
Passing his sentence, Magistrate Kaoma said he had considered Sakala’s mitigation, but wondered why she was too desperate to have a child when she was still young.
“I have considered your mitigation and that you are a first offender who pleaded guilty. You are still a very young person I wonder why you became so desperate to have a child,” Magistrate Kaoma observed.
Magistrate Kaoma then sentenced her to 36 months’ simple imprisonment from the date of her arrest.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- 7 Lumwana expatriates were lawfully fired, company tells court - 20 Sep 2019
- Tutwa reports Sangwa to LAZ for “professional misconduct” - 19 Sep 2019
- ConCourt sets Sept 27 for ruling on preliminary issues in LAZ Bill 10 case - 19 Sep 2019
- 120 people sue UPPZ leader for fraud over land - 18 Sep 2019
- Miles asks court to reduce child maintenance fee to K1,500 - 18 Sep 2019
- Thanks to Goswami, Lungu’s chickens are coming home to roost (12,890 views)
- PF need a miracle to pass Bill 10 – Nkombo (2,068 views)
- UK responds with relief food to hunger disaster (2,062 views)
- Lungu’s continued association with Findlay damaging the Presidency - KBF (1,504 view)
- Power is like buttocks, when you go up, prepare to go down (1,038 view)
- Zesco tariffs to go up by 75%, we also need to revise fuel prices - Minister
- HH shouldn’t be moving around like a cockroach in the kitchen - Bowman
- Germany ambassador offers to help FAZ find a coach
- Airtel agent in court for defiling wife’s sisters
- We warned Lungu over his friendship with Valden Findlay
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend