A-36-year-old police officer from Kamfinsa Police Camp has narrated before the Kitwe Magistrates’ Court how he found two male security guards from a Tiger Security Company in Kitwe badly beaten by a group of suspected thieves.

This is in a case in which 19-year-old Patrick Chisanga and 27-year-old Hassan Mwansa, all of Kitwe, are charged with theft and unlawful wounding.

In count one, the duo are charged with Theft from Person contrary to section 276 (a) of the penal code of Chapter 87 of the laws of Zambia.

Allegations are that on March 19, 2019 in Kitwe, jointly and whilst acting together, the accused persons stole a cell phone valued at K200 from Loma Misheck.

And in count two, the duo are charged with unlawful wounding contrary to the laws of Zambia.

Allegations are that on March 19, 2019 in Kitwe jointly and whilst acting together unlawfully wounded Loma Misheck.

And Brian Mulenga testified before Senior Resident Magistrate Osward Mwansa Chibalo that on March 20, 2019, in Kitwe he and his fellow officers found two security guards who were manning a property belonging to Zesco beaten up by a group of seven men who fled upon seeing them as they were conducting patrols at 22:23 hours in Mindolo East area.

He said one of the security guards was badly injured as his left hand was bleeding and his face was swollen.

Mulenga told court that Loma Misheck, the guard whose hand was bleeding, informed them that his phone had also been stolen.

He further told court he and his fellow cops decided to patrol the area and found a group of men who tried to run away but they managed to apprehend three.

He said the three men were taken to Mindolo police station where they were searched and a phone worth K200 was found on one of the suspects.

He said the suspects were later locked up and detained at the police station.

“As we were waiting for deployment from our senior officer, we received a information from the senior security officer from Tiger security that two of their officers had been attacked and we were asked to go there and as we reached we found them beaten up at one of Zesco cables,” said Mulenga.

Magistrate Chibalo has since adjourned the matter to July 5, 2019 for continued trial.