- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Lungu used to live in Chawama before becoming President – WitnessBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 6 Feb 2020
A State witness has insisted that President Edgar Lungu used to stay in Chawama before he became Head of State, but admits that he has never seen the said house in which he used to live.
This was despite the defence putting it to the witness that the President had never stayed in Chawama.
Evaristo Musonda, who adjudicates in a traditional court in Chief Chikwanda’s Chiefdom in Mpika District, was testifying in a matter where NDC leader Chishimba Kambwili is charged with defamation of the President.
It is alleged that between August 26 and 27 last year in Lusaka, Kambwili with intent to bring the name of the President into hatred, ridicule or contempt, published an insulting matter by word of mouth saying, “Noti ishi imbwa shabantu yaleikala fye Ku Chawama elo yamona ste ati ntandale icalo, eko baita fye kuya. Kuti washo umutengo wabunga balelwa 150 Waya? Kumona fye abantu abika kuti wabula Kampyongo, ati Minister of Home Affairs? Kuti Chaba Chalo ? Ba Kaizer Zulu. Okay bane” Meaning not these people who are like dogs who used to stay in Chawama when it saw ste decides to move all over the world, when ever it is called, it goes. Can you leave the price of mealie meal they fight 150 you go. You can even see the people he appoints. How do you appoint Kampyongo as Minister of Home Affairs? Can it be a country? Ba Kaiser Zulu. Okay guys.”
When the matter came up for continued trial before chief resident magistrate Lameck Mwale, Tuesday, Musonda testified that in August last year, a police officer went to Chief Chikwanda’s palace where he showed him a video on his phone.
He said in the video, he saw Kambwili talking to someone whose face was not shown.
Musonda said he heard Kamwbili saying “Not ishi imbwa shabantu, yaleikala ku Chawama elo yamona ste ….ati intandale icalo. Eko baitafye kuya. Kuti washa umutengo wabunga abantu balelwila K150, waya…”
He said after watching the video, the officer asked him what the words meant, and in response said, the words were insults on the leaders.
“There were many dogs who were mentioned, and among the dogs, he mentioned one dog which used to stay in Chawama and works with Kampyongo and Kaizer Zulu,” Musonda said.
Musonda said when the officer asked him which dog in particular was being referred to, his response was that Kambwili was referring to President Lungu because he knew that the Head of State used to live in Chawama before becoming President.
“And it was President Lungu who appointed Kampyongo and Zulu to work with him…In Bemba, if you tell your spouse that ‘uli mwana wa mbwa’ (a child of a dog), your spouse’s family will ensure that the marriage ends as you will be considered to lack respect,” the witness, who spoke in Bemba, said.
When cross examined by Kambwili’s lawyers Keith Mweemba and Gilbert Phiri, Musonda insisted that President Lungu used to stay in Chawama.
Asked to state the house number, Musonda said he didn’t know.
“I live in Mpika…What I know is that he was staying in Chawama but I don’t know the house number,” he said.
Asked if he had ever seen or visited the said house in Chawama where the President used to stay, the witness said no.
Further asked who told him that President Lungu used to stay in Chawama, Musonda said he just used to hear other people say President Lungu was from Chawama.
He said he would dispute if he was told that the Head of State was not from Chawama as the people who told him so, may be telling the truth.
Asked if he knew when the said video where Kambwili uttered the alleged defamatory words was taken, Musonda said no.
Further asked if figurative speech and idioms amounted to insulting language, Musonda replied in the negative, saying idioms and figurative speech did not amount to insulting language, depending on how they were used.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Soko not entitled to any of his claims, RTSA tells court - 21 Feb 2020
- Kambwili has the right to criticize govt, ZNBC staffer tells court - 21 Feb 2020
- ConCourt throws out LAZ’s application to jail Tutwa for contempt - 21 Feb 2020
- Court orders release of IMS boss’ passport - 20 Feb 2020
- $1m claim in costs by Rephidim, 2 others is inflated, says Vedanta - 20 Feb 2020
- PF official gets terrorism charges over gassing (16,692 views)
- Where is the father while the mother weeps “amwa peeling?” (11,041 views)
- ACC probes Health Minister for corruption (9,104 views)
- Lungu renews Bible Society membership, as netizens drag him back to gassing (4,822 views)
- Those lying about knowing gassing masterminds will be charged for causing alarm, warns IG (3,891 views)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «February 2020»
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- The real ritual killer is The Mob
- Those lying about knowing gassing masterminds will be charged for causing alarm, warns IG
- Please China, spare us from Coronavirus
- Careless comments on gassing will breed chaos – ZCCB
- PF official gets terrorism charges over gassing
- It’s every man for himself under Lungu – Milupi
- ACC probes Health Minister for corruption
- Chilubi outcome shows 2021 polls won’t be free and fair – AVAP
- Criminals are changing tactics, soldiers can’t root them out instantly – Chama
- Bill 10 has polarized Zambia – Kabimba
- Lungu renews Bible Society membership, as netizens drag him back to gassing
- Soko not entitled to any of his claims, RTSA tells court
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend