- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Ex-diplomat sues State over gratuityBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 4 Mar 2020
A FORMER deputy Head of Mission at the Zambian High Commission in London has sued the State in the Lusaka High Court, seeking payment of gratuity and over $100,000 services allowances he was entitled to following the termination of his contract.
Chola Chama, who has sued the Attorney General, is claiming US$38,000 representation allowance, US$57,000 cost of living allowance, US$8,000 entertainment allowance, housing and outfit allowances as well as gratuity at the rate of 100 per cent for the period served.
He also wants accrued leave days, three months salary in lieu of notice, interest, costs and any other relief the court deems fit.
In a statement of claim filed in the Lusaka High Court, February 28, Chama stated that on January 8, 2013, he was appointed into the foreign service for the position of Deputy Head of Mission at the High Commission of Zambia in London, United Kingdom.
He added that his monthly salary was at the scale of GSS/02.
“The plaintiff shall aver that he was entitled to US$38,000 per annum representation allowance, US$57,000 per annum cost of living allowance, US$8,000 entertainment allowance, outfit allowance, housing allowance, and 21 days annual service leave allowance,” read the statement of claim.
Chama further stated that he was under his contract entitled to gratuity at the rate of 100 per cent of his basic salary at the scale of GSS/02.
He stated that on April 11, 2014, his appointment into the foreign service was abruptly terminated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and he was accordingly recalled, upon which he was entitled to payment of three months salary in lieu of notice.
The former diplomat added that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had refused or neglected to settled the allowances and entitlement he claims.
Chama lamented that he had been subjected to inconvenience and that all efforts to resolve the issues had proved futile.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Criminals shoot dead Maamba man, injure son - 1 Apr 2020
- Pilato asks Lungu to relax sanctions against Prime TV - 31 Mar 2020
- Lubinda breaks down as he recalls being slapped by PF cadre - 31 Mar 2020
- ZCCM-IH to appeal High Court’s decision to dismiss fraud case against FQM, 6 others - 31 Mar 2020
- Provide protective clothing to all health workers fighting COVID-19, MQHZ urges govt - 31 Mar 2020
- Govt identifies Chaisa, Jack Compound, Ibex Hill as COVID-19 hot zones (11,548 views)
- Kampyongo, Malanji, Lombe in quarantine after suspected exposure to COVID-19 (9,759 views)
- Kwamana for Lungu now, he has to go - KBF (7,434 views)
- Stop load-shedding to keep people at home (5,167 views)
- Lungu's Cabinet leadership on COVID-19 scary (5,120 views)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «April 2020»
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
Send this to a friend