TRIAL has failed to commence in a case in which a Patriotic Front supporter, Innocent Kalimanshi, and two others are accused of assaulting three people, as one of the accused persons is unwell.
The matter has since been adjourned to December 28, this year, for trial.
In this matter, Kalimanshi, 34, Nathan Phiri, 43, and Capson Mwanza, 46, all businessmen, are charged with three counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
In count one, it is alleged that on October 26, this year, the three assaulted Isaac Banda and occasioned him actual bodily harm.
In count two, Kalimanshi, Phiri and Mwanza are alleged to have on the same date assaulted Muhammed Mutale and occasioned him actual bodily harm.
In the last count, it is alleged that on the same date, the three assaulted Kingsley Nyondo and occasioned him actual bodily harm.
The three denied the charges.
However, when the matter came up for commencement of trial before Lusaka Magistrate Nthandose Chabala yesterday, only Kalimanshi and Mwanza were before court.
And when Phiri’s surety Nicholas Chandwe, a driver of Matero, was asked to explain the accused’s whereabouts, he said Phiri was unwell.
“He is not feeling well. He is sick at home,” the surety said as he produced a document that Phiri was given at the hospital where he was attended to.
The State also informed the Court that they had been ready for trial with four witnesses.
They asked that the matter be adjourned to a nearest date.
Magistrate Chabala adjourned the matter to December 28, this year, for trial.