- by Joseph Mwenya in Kabwe on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 10 Dec 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 10 Dec 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by William Chileshe on 8 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 8 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 8 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 7 Dec 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 8 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 7 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 6 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 5 Dec 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Reporter on 4 Dec 2017by Laura Miti on 24 Nov 2017by The Washington Post on 16 Nov 2017by Times of Zambia employees on 15 Nov 2017
- by Diggers Editor on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 8 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 6 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 2 Dec 2017
- by Mirriam Chabala on 5 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 30 Nov 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 29 Nov 2017by Joseph Mwenya on 28 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 26 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017
Bushiri may lose emerald mine if he doesn’t apologize to Zambian govt – MinisterBy Mirriam Chabala on 20 May 2017
Copperbelt Minister Bowman Lusambo says Prophet Shepard Bushiri has breached his investment code by attacking Reverend Godfridah Sumaili.
In a statement today, Lusambo said by publicly admonishing Rev Sumaili, Prophet Bushiri had attacked the Republic of Zambia and all its citizens, thereby breaching his investment code.
“As distasteful the attacks from Bushiri are, they have exposed him to the world as an ignorant, self-serving and egoistic man who has no regard for other country’s laws and regulations. The other important lesson I should draw Bushiri to is that in public administration or any other organised setting, there is what is called collective responsibility. Thus, by admonishing Rev. Sumaili publicly, Bushiri has elected to attack the Republic of Zambia and all its people. It therefore goes without saying that as an investor, Bushiri has breached the provisions of his investment code,” Lusambo stated.
He gave Prophet Bushiri a seven-day ultimatum to apologise to Rev Sumaili or he would recommend that his license be revoked.
“As Government, we will carry out a forensic audit on the operations of the emerald mine owned by Bushiri as part of measures to ensure that the interests of the Zambian people are safeguarded. I am hereby issuing a seven-day ultimatum for Bushiri to tender an apology to Rev. Sumaili, the Zambian people in general and the people of Lufwanyama in particular,” Lusambo warned.
“Failure by Bushiri to apology will attract sanctions which I will recommend to the Ministry of Mines including the possible revocation of his mining licence. As much as the Zambian Government is keen on promoting both local and foreign investment, the guiding principle still remains that the national interests should be the corner stone of any such engagements.”
He said Prophet Bushiri’s attacks were distasteful.
“From the onset, I should state that the remarks attributed to Bushiri directed at National Affairs and Religious Minister Reverend Godfridah Sumaili and some senior clergymen in Zambia are unfortunate. I find the attacks especially against Hon. Rev. Sumaili by Bushiri distasteful and lacking justification. I believe that Bushiri had no locus standi to attack Hon. Rev. Sumaili in the manner he did,” stated Lusambo.
“Bushiri should be made aware that the Reverend he has chosen to publicly rebuke is a high ranking government official in the administration of His Excellency President Edgar Chagwa Lungu and therefore deserves the highest form of respect. As His Excellency Lungu correctly pointed out, Zambia just like any other country reserves the express right to admit or turn down any visitor as deemed it by the immigration authorities.”
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam Chabala is a Zambian journalist who covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- PF hired intercity thugs to attack me at Diamond TV – Kambwili - 9 Dec 2017
- 8 Mporokoso PF officials defect to NDC - 8 Dec 2017
- Govt hasn’t seen ConCourt ruling ordering ministers to pay back – Wina - 8 Dec 2017
- Copperbelt PF chairman insists ruling party is intact - 7 Dec 2017
- Don’t cry over ‘failed’ IMF deal, it was also debt – Lubinda - 7 Dec 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «December 2017»
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend