- by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
ZNBC is for government officials, not opposition – Lunte MPBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 11 Nov 2017
Lunte PF member of parliament Mutotwe Kafwaya has told Parliament that ZNBC is only for government officials because opposition political parties who do not have policies would waste the national broadcaster’s airtime talking about presidential petitions which do not exist.
Debating the 2018 budgetary allocation to the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Kafwaya said ZNBC should not be allowed to air any views from the opposition.
“Many people when referring to ZNBC say that this institution only shows the President, the vice president, ministers and government officials to the exclusion of other players, specifically the opposition political players. I do think to some extent this is true. But I ask the question, why should opposition political players want to dominate ZNBC when when in fact they don’t carry government policy?” Kafwaya asked.
“The purpose of ZNBC is to show the Zambian people what government is doing for them. If we say everyone must have the same share we will be hearing such things that there is a presidential petition in court on ZNBC. That’s what we will be hearing. People will be going to ZNBC to go and say that there is an active presidential petition in court when in fact there is nothing because that’s what politicking is about. Its about misleading for some.”
He said ZNBC belonged to those in government and not those opposing government programmes.
“Mr chairman you go to an international platform to go and tell the world that in Zambia there is a presidential petition in court. Where is the presidential petition? There is no presidential petition anywhere in this country. This is not what we want to see on ZNBC. Mr chairman, ZNBC is an institution for government and not an institution for the opposition,” said Kafwaya.
“Therefore ZNBC must promote activities for government. Those who say we must have a fair share, it is a dream which I don’t see being fulfilled unless the purpose of ZNBC changes because its mandate is to promote information on social cultural and economic development. What economic development will you get from an opposition? If you want to bring those oppositions and line them up on ZNBC them we are not promoting what the actual purpose of ZNBC is! In this country the only opposition is UPND which is unfortunate. Because in a diversified political dispensation we are supposed to have many political parties. For UPND sadly, their manifesto is one sheet of paper with only 10 points. Is that what you want to show on ZNBC? 10 points?” Kafwaya questioned.”
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit - 24 Aug 2019
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president - 24 Aug 2019
- ConCourt has jurisdiction to hear my petition, submits Lundazi Central losing candidate - 23 Aug 2019
- Pathologist testifies in ritual killing case - 23 Aug 2019
- Mwitwa sues Tutwa for defamation of character - 23 Aug 2019
- Mwenye's corruption remarks irk PF (3,550 views)
- ConCourt has no powers to hear Bill 10 - Kalaluka (2,502 views)
- If austerity measures were working, we wouldn't be having these problems – BoZ (2,285 views)
- Zesco announces increased load-shedding (1,620 view)
- Forget the Damn headline, did you get the message? (1,215 view)
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
- High mealie meal prices are an indictment on Lungu – Nalumango
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend