- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 20 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 20 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 20 Nov 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Nyambe Lubasi on 20 Nov 2017by Nyambe Lubasi on 18 Nov 2017by Nyambe Lubasi on 17 Nov 2017by Nyambe Lubasi on 15 Nov 2017
- by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 18 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 18 Nov 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 20 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 17 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 14 Nov 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 20 Nov 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Nov 2017by Diggers contributor on 7 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 4 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 29 Oct 2017
Civil servants are stealing their pensions before they retire – PNUBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 14 Nov 2017
Party of National Unity (PNU) Secretary General Kasote Singogo says the Ministry of General Education employee who stole K2.5 million did not want to be a victim of delayed pensions when he retires.
The latest Auditor General’s report singled out Bwalya L Phiri, for paying himself a total of K2,577,055 in the year ended 2016, for unexplained purposes.
According to the Auditor General, Phiri used different initials on nine occasions to draw money from a Ministry of General Education account, in an attempt to conceal the fraud whilst two of his colleagues also paid themselves K871,272 in similar circumstances.
“Inquiries revealed that the funds drawn had been misappropriated by the said officers as they were not accounted for at the Ministry. In particular, a payment made on Cheque Number 427659 which was purportedly paid to the DEBs offices was actually paid to L Bwalya confirmed through the Bank statements. It was noted that in an effort to conceal the fraud, different names and initials (L Bwalya P, L B Phiri, Bwalya Phiri, B Phiri, L Phiri and L Bwalya) of the same payee were used for different transactions,” read the Auditor General’s report.
But in an interview, Singogo said Phiri was simply emulating his leaders.
“You can see that this government is just there to destroy, to destroy the very means of development because when tax money is collected, this money belongs to the people of Zambia and is suppose to be used prudentially. But clearly this is the evidence of a government which does not care because by now, we should be reading about the arrest but you see its just business as usual. This person who has been identified at the Ministry of education, we can safely say that he is probably seeing what the leaders are doing and he himself now takes advantage,” Singogo said.
“Secondly, he could be seeing that because this government is in huge arrears on those people who have retired, he is basically saying to himself, if this is what it means that when I retire I will also be like those people who have retired, I might as well help myself. It shows you my dear sister that in this country, all the systems have broken down. And you yourselves know that this is what we do also, so it becomes difficult now to take action against this civil servant whom you have been informed that is taking money using different names. That is why we are saying that this government is incompetent where you have glaring evidence and you don’t act.”
“There are three things we have said about PF. Firstly we have said that the PF government is incompetent, secondly, the PF government is corrupt, and thirdly, the PF government is violent. Now, the Auditor General’s report confirms that this government is incompetent and corrupt because it does not need anybody to tell you that look this is a police case. This is a sign of incompetence that is why you find that they cannot act because they are incompetent. Secondly this confirms the corruption we have been talking about. On violence I don’t need to educate you because you saw what happened in Luampa when the Vice-President went there to commission a sub-station. An honorable member of parliament was almost beaten up by PF thugs in full view of the Vice president,” Singogo said.
He charged that senior government officials were slow to act on erring civil servants cited in the Auditor General’s report because even they were guilty.
“The reason why you don’t act it is because perhaps you yourselves do the same thing and it becomes difficult to act. And for us we want to be on record that PF government, this is the PF government because you can’t say Edgar Chagwa, Edgar Chagwa is the head of state. But it is the PF government under him which is showing incompetence, the government is incompetence because of Edgar Chagwa Lungu, here is evidence given and you cannot take action. And this is also a sign that re-enforces our claim that this government is corrupt and on top of being corrupt, they are also violent,” said Singogo.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube is a Zambian journalist with a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Witch hunt leads Chipili brothers into fierce battle - 20 Nov 2017
- K4bn debt owed to contractors worries minister - 20 Nov 2017
- PAC sends away ministry auditor for improper dressing - 18 Nov 2017
- Kabimba mocks new socialist party: “what will they do which Rainbow is not doing?” - 18 Nov 2017
- Cop in hot soup for taking nude pictures of female detainees - 17 Nov 2017
- Kambwili rules out reconciliation with Lungu: "I want to be called Mr President"
- Lusambo vents anger on RDA for not awarding contract to his preferred companies
- When we takeover govt mukanya ba pompwe, Kambwili warns PF
- Kaunda has not yet traveled to meet Mugabe -Spokesperson
- PAC sends away ministry auditor for improper dressing
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «November 2017»
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend