by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 12 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 11 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 16 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 9 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 7 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
UPND asks for patience as it drafts impeachment motionBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 8 Mar 2018
UPND Whip Garry Nkombo says the party is not in a haste to lay the impeachment motion against President Edgar Lungu on the table of the House because they want it to be thorough and professional.
On Sunday, Patriots for Economic Progress leader Sean Tembo said he supported calls to impeach President Lungu and advised the UPND that the only ground which could hold was the President’s threats on the judges.
But Tembo said he was disappointed with the snail’s pace at which the UPND was moving to lay the motion in Parliament.
But in an interview with News Diggers! yesterday, Nkombo said the UPND did not want to do a haphazard job on the motion for the sake of tabling it quickly.
“Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and we grant president Tembo his opinion. If he thinks that the only impeachable offence that the President has occasioned on the Constitution is the threat to the judges that is fine. But we also think that there will be a few more breaches on the Constitution attributed to the Head of State. We are sure that those breaches have actually happened, including the breach on Article 104, 105 of the Constitution,” he said.
“Mr Tembo may wish to understand that its supposed to be a thorough piece of work which will be professional and so there is no need for him to be in haste. He must also grant us that opinion of ours as we granted his own. It Is not only the President who we think has breached the Constitution, we think that in terms of Article 104, 105, there should have been a recipient of the instruments of power who is Speaker. So we are studying that matter very carefully to see how the two can be joined. But we do not want to do a haphazard job.”
And commenting on Tembo’s remarks that the UPND should not add frivolous charges to the motion to avoid being regarded as bitter, Nkombo said there was no bitterness in UPND but there was only focus.
“Mr Tembo should be asked the question ‘who is angry’? He must be asked that question and should point at the person who is angry maybe he can direct those efforts to the person who is angry. As far as we are concerned there is no anger, there is no bitterness, there is just focus,” said Nkombo.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Airtel agent in court for defiling wife’s sisters - 16 Sep 2019
- British man in court for assaulting Zambian cleaner girlfriend - 16 Sep 2019
- 4 Lusaka men sue Kaizer Zulu for kidnapping and beating them - 13 Sep 2019
- Judge Nkonde asks ConCourt to dismiss M’membe’s application for review of costs - 13 Sep 2019
- If Nevers is allowed to lead the party, there’ll be no MMD, witness tells court - 13 Sep 2019
- We warned Lungu over his friendship with Valden Findlay (4,796 views)
- Findlay knows Goswami; I've been in their presence before, reveals Kaweche Kaunda (2,230 views)
- British man in court for assaulting Zambian cleaner girlfriend (1,606 view)
- Bill 10 is nonsensical – Chongwe (1,521 view)
- How will judges rule on Bill 10 after submitting to Parley? (1,280 view)
- It makes us sad that we can't stick to load shedding schedule - Zesco
- Switch to cheaper food, Wina urges Zambians
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe
- It's impossible to reduce mealie meal prices, brace for harder times, warns GBM
- Chipolopolo had horror moment in Brazzaville - FAZ
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend