by Mirriam Chabala on 19 Oct 2019by Julia Malunga on 18 Oct 2019by Natasha Sakala on 17 Oct 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Oct 2019
by Natasha Sakala on 17 Oct 2019by Natasha Sakala on 15 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 15 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 13 Oct 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 17 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 7 Oct 2019
by Diggers Editor on 18 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 13 Oct 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Douty Chibamba on 19 Oct 2019by Felicity Kayumba Kalunga on 18 Oct 2019by Patricia Scotland, Commonwealth Secretary-General on 17 Oct 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Oct 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Sep 2019
Dora explains ZNBC’s failure to broadcast World CupBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 20 Jun 2018
Information Minister Dora Siliya says ZNBC did not acquire the rights to broadcast the ongoing FIFA Russia 2018 World Cup games because the corporation could not afford to pay $750,000.
Siliya said this in Parliament, Tuesday, in response to a question from Kafue UPND member of parliament Mirriam Chonya who wanted to know why ZNBC rejected the offer from Kwese TV to broadcast the matches.
In her response, Siliya said ZNBC did not allow Kwese TV to broadcast the matches because the two could not agree on the terms of the offer.
“I would like to inform the House that FIFA has different categories for World Cup broadcast rights. The public broadcaster such as ZNBC would have to pay about $750,000 to acquire broadcast rights for all the 64 [football] matches. The Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation did not acquire the rights to broadcast the ongoing FIFA Russia 2018 World Cup Matches. The Zambia National Broad Corporation did not reject the offer by Kwese TV broadcasting the matches but rather could not agree on the terms of the offer and the cost charged by Kwese TV which was $100,000 for only 32 of the 64 live matches. And Kwese did demand for a 50 percent share revenue from all the advertising during the matches,” Siliya said.
And Siliya said Kwese TV was removed from the Topstar platform because it could not sign a service level agreement on the commercial terms and conditions.
“Mr Speaker Kwese TV was originally carried on the Topstar network before the analogue switch off which occurred on 1st October 2017. This, however, changed as the two parties needed to sign a service level agreement and agree on commercial terms and conditions for the carriage of the channel.and as you are aware Mr Speaker, this affected all the other channels and not just Kwese. And since the cut-off from analogue in 2017, 18 local channels have since been put on the platform and 28 are foreign channels. However Kwese, and the catholic TV and Kenmark Tv have not yet been put on the platform,” she said.
Meanwhile Siliya said the fact that Topstar was broadcasting the games live, it meant that ZNBC was equally involved.
“Mr Speaker ZNBC is part of the special purpose vehicle for Topstar and so in this case the fact that Topstar on their platform they are actually broadcasting the football, it does actually mean that ZNBC is involved and I think at this point Zambians are not failing to watch football. I think the important point to emphasise is that should one signal carrier be also be a content carrier. And I have verified that we have made that observation and since then, IBA has been asked to actually harmonise this situation so that we follow our own rules that if one is a signal carrier, they will not be a content carrier,” said Siliya.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube has a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- UPND enjoys ‘punching holes on Lungu’, naya kumbuyo- Chalikosa - 17 Oct 2019
- It’s worthless to raise corrupt hands in prayer for prosperity without repentance – Musa - 17 Oct 2019
- You’re being dared, pull up your socks, Kampyongo tells law enforcement agencies - 17 Oct 2019
- Namugala curtails homosexuality debates - 17 Oct 2019
- 51 houses symptomatic of deeper problem – TIZ - 17 Oct 2019
- Police should not wear masks (2,760 views)
- Phiri explains heavy police presence in Lusaka's CBD (2,450 views)
- Benny Zulu led us to the crime scene for reconstruction, Cop tells court (1,744 view)
- Namugala curtails homosexuality debates (1,540 view)
- You're being dared, pull up your socks, Kampyongo tells law enforcement agencies (1,043 view)
- Load shedding: The underlying causes that we are overlooking
- Tough decisions will be made despite close 2021 polls – Lungu
- The Proposed 2019 Constitution Amendment Bill: A Threat to Zambia’s Democracy?
- Police should not wear masks
- SA’s renewed load shedding puts Zesco power import deal at risk – Eskom
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend