- by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 23 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 23 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 23 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Lusaka woman sues Chingola colleague for calling her prostituteBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Feb 2019
A businesswoman of Lusaka’s Kamwala South has dragged another woman of Chingola to court for allegedly calling her a prostitute and other unprintables after she refused to give the defendant money in exchange for information on her husband’s infidelity.
Victoria Sichone, who has sued Astridah Mukutu, is seeking compensation for defamation of character, as well as, exemplary damages for emotional turmoil.
In a statement of claim filed in the Lusaka High Court, February 14, Victoria stated that sometime in 2017, Astridah called her with a view to extort money from her by making up a story that her (Victoria’s) husband was in Chingola with another woman.
Victoria stated that Astridah told her that if she wanted to hear more, she was to pay for the information.
She added that when she refused to pay, Astridah published an oral statement, charging that Victoria was a fool, prostitute among other unpalatable things.
“The said words were understood to mean that; the plaintiff has poor judgement or intelligence, she is fond of having sexual intercourse with other men in exchange for money and that she can’t be trusted,” read the statement of claim.
Victoria lamented that the said words had injured her character and had caused her to be ridiculed, scorned and had further diminished the esteem, respect and goodwill with some members of the family.
She stated that despite her insisting that Astridah issued an unreserved apology, the latter had blatantly refused to do so.
“By reason of the publication of the said words, Victoria has been injured in her professional standing character, reputation and has suffered distress, embarrassment and has been brought into public scandal, odium, ridicule and contempt,” read the statement of claim.
Victoria is now claiming compensation for defamation of character, aggravated and general damages for slander, exemplary damages for emotional turmoil suffered, interest, costs and any other relief the court may deem fit.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- ConCourt has jurisdiction to hear my petition, submits Lundazi Central losing candidate - 23 Aug 2019
- Pathologist testifies in ritual killing case - 23 Aug 2019
- Mwitwa sues Tutwa for defamation of character - 23 Aug 2019
- ConCourt send back to High Court case in which 4 want Litunga out - 22 Aug 2019
- Nawakwi asks High Court to dismiss Kopakopa’s claim for irregularities - 22 Aug 2019
- Mwenye's corruption remarks irk PF (3,181 views)
- ConCourt has no powers to hear Bill 10 - Kalaluka (2,224 views)
- If austerity measures were working, we wouldn't be having these problems – BoZ (1,973 view)
- Zesco announces increased load-shedding (1,484 view)
- Forget the Damn headline, did you get the message? (1,134 view)
- Indeed, the Speaker is being mischievous on Amendment Bill 10
- LAZ warns Speaker, MPs of contempt over Bill 10
- SA High Court rejects ZCCM’s arbitration appeal with costs
- Govt’s job is not to defend the corrupt, but prosecute them – Mwenye
- TIZ asks Lungu to cancel Forest 27 plots, says ACC must investigate minister for abuse
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend