- by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Opposition Alliance resolves to report Lungu to ICCBy Mukosha Funga on 21 Feb 2019
The Opposition Alliance says it has decided to report President Edgar Lungu, some high ranking PF officials and four PF cadres to the International Criminal Court for various crimes against humanity.
At a press briefing in Lusaka, Wednesday, chairperson of the Opposition Alliance Milupi said the alliance’s investigations had revealed that the ruling party had assembled a group of youths whose sole purpose was to perpetrate violence.
“As Opposition Alliance, our preliminary investigations have revealed that the PF party and its government have assembled a group of youths whose sole purpose is to perpetuate political violence on the opposition. This group of youths, which for current purposes we have decided to refer to as a PF militia, is mainly stationed at Inter-city bus terminus in Lusaka, and Kanyama township. Some of the members of this PF militia include Francis Muchemwa (aka America 2), Mpange Kachingwe, Abel Mwale, Eddie Gowa (aka America 1) who is a Malawian citizen that was imported to Zambia for the sole purpose of executing political violence, etc,” Milupi charged.
“As evidenced by the various photos attached hereto, these individuals that form the PF militia are close acquaintances of the republican president, his Excellency Mr Edgar Chagwa Lungu, the PF militias are close acquaintances of the Minister of Home Affairs, honourable Stephen Kampyongo, close associates to the PF secretary general Hon Davis Mwila, these PF thugs are close associates to the special assistant for politics to the republican president, Mr Kaizer Zulu, these PF thugs are close associates to the Special Assistant to the Republican President for Press and Public Relations, Mr Amos Chanda, these PF thugs are also close associates to the Inspector General of Police Mr Kakoma Kanganja.”
Milupi charged that the PF militia was on the Lusaka City Council and Zesco payroll.
He insisted that the state, through State House police, tried to assassinate Hichilema in Sesheke.
“At about 14:30hrs on that fateful Friday afternoon, Zambia Police Service officers from State House division, appeared from nowhere and, without warning, opened fire on the crowd of Maondo ward residents whom the UPND president was addressing as part of his campaign itinerary for that day. Note attached footage and photographs. The UPND president together with his entourage and supporters were forced to scamper in all directions in fear of their lives as the State House police officers continued to open fire with automatic weapons on the unarmed and defenceless UPND entourage and Maondo ward residents. Note attached photographs of several live ammunition cartridges recovered from the scene,” he said.
“Even after the UPND president and his entourage had dashed into the nearby bush and abandoned their vehicles at the village, the State House police officers continued to pursue them further into the bush, were they continued to fire their automatic weapons. In total, an estimated 1,000 rounds of ammunition were fired on that afternoon, against the unarmed and defenseless UPND president and his supporters. Note footage and photographs attached hereto. The UPND president and his entourage had to spend more than 8 hours holed up in the bush waiting for nightfall, before they finally made their way back to the village, at which time the state house police officers had left the scene after tear-gassing and vandalizing the entire Maondo village.”
He noted that to date, police had not explained why they opened fire on Hichilema.
“Given the circumstances of what happened in Maondo village on that fateful Friday, 8th February 2019, we in the Opposition Alliance are left with no option but to conclude that the operation that was conducted by State House police was aimed at assassinating the UPND president, Mr Hakainde Hichilema, with the aim of eliminating him from the 2021 presidential race.”
Milupi said failure by police to arrest PF cadres who went to protest at Parliament last Thursday was proof that the PF had created two classes of citizens.
“The pf and its government have essentially created two classes of citizens. Everyone that is affiliated to the PF is considered a first class citizen who is not subjected to the laws of the land, as witnessed by the failure of the Zambia Police Service to arrest PF cadres who staged an unlawful protest at Parliament, which they the police acknowledged was an unlawful protest. Any law enforcement official who dares to enforce the law on PF cadres who have been designated as first class citizens by the PF government, is quickly fired by the Republican President, as the case is with the Sesheke police officers recently,” he said.
Milupi said the firing of Sesheke officers had given courage to PF cadres to break the law with “additional” impunity.
He said since it was very difficult to get justice locally, the Opposition Alliance had decided to report President Lungu and other PF officials to the ICC.
“We in the Opposition Alliance cannot, shall not and will not sit idle as our citizens are being maimed and killed in the name of politics by the PF and its government in general and President Edgar Chagwa Lungu in particular. We are also cognizant of the fact that it is very difficult for us in the opposition to get justice from the local judicial system, given the high levels of infiltration of the PF party among judicial officers, where they have personal-to-holder judges and magistrates who can never issue a judgement against the PF and its government, no matter the mountain of evidence available. In our quest for true justice, we in the opposition alliance have taken the decision to report specific individuals to the International Criminal Court in the Hague, for orchestrating, perpetrating, facilitating, funding and executing a well planned wave of political violence across the country, whish violence risks the peace and security of this nation,” he said.
Milupi listed President Lungu, Home Affairs Minister Stephen Kampyongo, PF secretary general Davies Mwila, Special Assistant to the President for Politics Kaizer Zulu, Special Assistant to the President for Press and Public Relations Amos Chanda and four PF cadres namely; Francis Muchemwa, Mpange Kachingwe, Abel Mwale and Eddie Gowa as those to be reported to the ICC.
“As opposition alliance, we have complete trust in the competence, independence and integrity of the ICC and their prosecutors. On this basis, we strongly believe that we if the above listed individuals are not guilty of the crimes that we accuse them of, they shall be acquitted accordingly by the international criminal court in the Hague. It must further be noted that the above list may be increased depending on additional evidence that may come into our possession in due course,” said Milupi.
Meanwhile, Opposition Alliance member Elias Chipimo of NAREP said it was high time citizens stood together to fight state sponsored terrorism.
“I make no regrets about using that term, that is what we are witnessing today,” said Chipimo.
“This must come to an end.”
About Mukosha Funga
Mukosha is interested in good governance and anti-corruption reporting.
- Govt’s job is not to defend the corrupt, but prosecute them – Mwenye - 23 Aug 2019
- ConCourt has no powers to hear Bill 10 – Kalaluka - 23 Aug 2019
- Mwenye’s corruption remarks irk PF - 22 Aug 2019
- Zesco announces increased load-shedding - 22 Aug 2019
- Lungu leads 34 member delegation to India - 21 Aug 2019
- Mwenye's corruption remarks irk PF (3,600 views)
- ConCourt has no powers to hear Bill 10 - Kalaluka (2,569 views)
- If austerity measures were working, we wouldn't be having these problems – BoZ (2,348 views)
- Zesco announces increased load-shedding (1,662 view)
- LAZ warns Speaker, MPs of contempt over Bill 10 (1,334 view)
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
- High mealie meal prices are an indictment on Lungu – Nalumango
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend