- by Mukosha Funga on 25 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 25 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 25 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Austerity measures a sham, govt will continue with reckless spending – KambwiliBy Julia Malunga on 14 Aug 2019
National Democratic Congress (NDC) president Chishimba Kambwili says the PF has a rare disease of making pronouncements and failing to implement them.
Last week, government, through the Ministry of Finance, asked all project implementing ministries to stop bombarding the Treasury with requests for funding of activities until the country’s debt stock was brought back to “moderate levels”.
This was according to a circular dated July 3, 2019, addressed to the all Permanent Secretaries, all heads of departments, the Auditor General, the Principal Private Secretary at State house and the Senior Private Secretary at the Office of the Vice-President.
Commenting on this in an interview, Kambwili said the PF had a rare disease of making pronouncements and failing to implement them.
“It is very difficult for us to believe what that internal memo is stating because PF had said they had put up austerity measures, but they are still commissioning projects! Where is the money coming from? We have heard that kind of directive before. Government has continued spending, it has never stopped. Just yesterday, the President (Edgar Lungu) was saying austerity measures does not affect him, and the fact that they have said all projects involving concessional loans should not continue; there is no way you can have austerity measures selecting which areas should not be affected. What I am saying is that, that memo is just keeping up appearances; it’s a smoke screen! There is absolutely nothing that is going to happen. They are not going to follow that!” Kambwili said.
“They are financially undisciplined! Everywhere they go, they say: ‘we will come and build a clinic for you’. [Minister of Health Chitalu] Chilufya is going round when there are austerity measures, breaking grounds for the construction of hospitals. But they said that any project below 80 per cent will not be funded, but they are starting projects at zero per cent. So, where is the financial discipline? They suffer from a rare disease where what they pronounce is not commensurate with their actions and I feel sorry for them.”
And Kambwili, the former Roan PF member of parliament, projected a high cost of living.
“People’s salaries will be stagnant and commodities will go up as a result of the Treasury not having money. There will be an increase of poverty levels, even among the working class. They have failed to manage the resources of the country because of over-borrowing. People will suffer! Most of the local contractors and suppliers are small-scale and they don’t have access to financing,” said Kambwili.
About Julia Malunga
Julia is a curious journalist who is determined to unearth the truth and is good at criminal investigations.
Email: julia [at] diggers [dot] news
- High mealie meal prices are an indictment on Lungu – Nalumango - 24 Aug 2019
- TIZ asks Lungu to cancel Forest 27 plots, says ACC must investigate minister for abuse - 23 Aug 2019
- Nondo’s defection shocks NAREP - 23 Aug 2019
- Unscrupulous retailers causing high mealie meal prices – Dora - 23 Aug 2019
- CSPR tips govt on how to deal with hunger crisis - 22 Aug 2019
- Don’t worry Musa, Saasa; the corrupt defend each other (1,899 view)
- LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contempt (1,295 view)
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini (1,016 view)
- LAZ warns Speaker, MPs of contempt over Bill 10 (931 views)
- Indeed, the Speaker is being mischievous on Amendment Bill 10 (794 views)
- LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contempt
- Luapula man beats wife to death for being drunk
- Don’t worry Musa, Saasa; the corrupt defend each other
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend