- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Lungu ill advised, no wonder Kingsland injunction has embarrassed him – HarringtonBy Julia Malunga on 24 Feb 2020
FORMER Minister of Transport and Communications William Harrington says the ill-advised and ill-timed commissioning of the Zambia Air Force and Kingsland City projects must be a great source of embarrassment for President Edgar Lungu in light of the court injunction.
Last week, the Court of Appeal granted an injunction restraining the continued works at Kingsland City, a housing project which was officially commissioned by President Lungu last month.
Delivering his ruling, Judge Kondolo said the Kingsland City, regardless of the magnitude of the project did not enjoy state immunity from injunction.
And in a statement sent to News Diggers, Harrington said President Lungu should take disciplinary action against his advisors.
“I sincerely believe that had the President been advised, he would have perhaps not gone ahead to commission the project, being a lawyer himself. President Lungu must take stern disciplinary action against any of his advisors for failing or neglecting to advise him that on the matter of Zambia Air Force (ZAF) Projects Limited, Kingsland City Limited, Shangrila Investments Limited and others projects before Appeals Court of Zambia. That it is subjudice and that he should therefore not have gone ahead to officially launch the housing project recently. So the ill-advised and ill-timed commissioning of the ZAF and Kingsland City projects must be a great source of embarrassment caused to our humble President which demands stern disciplinary action on any and all those who ignored, neglected or refused to advise the President appropriately,”read the statement.
“This is because in a landmark judgment delivered by the learned Judge Kondolo of The Court of Appeal on 17th February 2020, he granted an injunction restraining the companies from proceeding with developments in part of the Lusaka East Local Forest Reserve No. 27. Surprisingly, President Lungu went ahead to launch and give his “blessings” to the controversial project without due regard to the process of the law.”
Harrington said there was nothing political about protecting reserved forests in the country.
“A day after the commissioning of the controversial project, one of the state-owned and government-controlled newspapers carried a story under a screaming headline “Cut down politics” quoting the President as having said that he expects the politics surrounding Forest Reserve 27 to come to an end following assurances that on-going development of Kingsland City has caused no environmental harm. In the first place, this statement by our humble President is not only surprising but shocking because there is nothing political but everything moral about protecting the forest because it is an aquifer and water catchment area,” stated Harrington.
“The health and lives of thousands if not millions of citizens is put at great risk through contamination of their water from faecal matter and poisonous household chemicals. So I humbly beg to differ with our humble President that the FR No.27 is not a political one but an environment one. It is no wonder that the Zambia Environmental Management Agency (ZEMA) only gave a go-ahead in principle for the project subject to some critical conditions being met by the developers of which I am reliably informed have not been met.”
About Julia Malunga
Julia is a curious journalist who is determined to unearth the truth and is good at criminal investigations.
Email: julia [at] diggers [dot] news
- We’re considering asking landlords to forego rentals amid COVID-19 – Siliya - 7 Apr 2020
- Management studying UNZALARU’s petition against Mwanza, Bukowa – VC - 6 Apr 2020
- UPND blames Nangula loss on COVID-19 - 6 Apr 2020
- Kampyongo’s mockery of people on ARVs unacceptable – NAC - 6 Apr 2020
- It’s inhuman for Chanda to undermine HH’s donation of soap, sanitisers – UPND - 6 Apr 2020
- It’s inhuman for Chanda to undermine HH’s donation of soap, sanitisers – UPND (3,335 views)
- Is Kampyongo suggesting that slim people, like his appointing authority are HIV suspects? (2,815 views)
- We’re considering asking landlords to forego rentals amid COVID-19 – Siliya (2,761 views)
- UPND blames Nangula loss on COVID-19 (2,724 views)
- Kampyongo's mockery of people on ARVs unacceptable - NAC (2,291 views)
- COVID-19 is airborne? Why is Ministry of Health misleading us?
- Is Kampyongo suggesting that slim people, like his appointing authority are HIV suspects?
- We’re already on lockdown – Lungu
- Introduce SI to stop landlords from collecting rentals, Changala urges govt
- Why whip patrons if there's no lockdown?
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «April 2020»
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- It’s illegal for police to whip citizens – Mweetwa
- UNZA owes ZRA, others K2.8bn, as audit reveals mismanagement of funds
- PF’s Nangula victory a 2021 sample – Mundubile
- Tutwa refutes UPND’s Bill 10 bribery claims
- We’re considering asking landlords to forego rentals amid COVID-19 – Siliya
- Govt, FRA’s deal with millers failed to cut mealie meal prices – IAPRI
- Habitat urges govt to improve living conditions in unplanned settlements
- SACCORD hails PF, UPND for peaceful Nangula poll
- ZRA’s tax audit on media houses within its mandate but wrongly timed – MISA
- Kamusoko, Mangani on path to recovery
- Govt must carry out robust awareness campaign against COVID-19 – CSPR
- Siwale welcomes FIFA’s intervention in FAZ wrangles
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
[search_popup]Send this to a friend