- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Court jails fake prophet who claims he can raise people from the deadBy Diggers Reporter on 28 Dec 2017
Lusaka magistrate Mary Chibanga has convicted and sentenced a prophet to 18 months imprisonment with hard labour for swindling a 23-year-old woman of K10,170 on pretext that he would bring her dead husband back to life.
Angel Sakala was accused of swindling Beatrice Kasonde by promising to resurrect her husband, Kennedy Malawo.
When the matter came up for judgment yesterday, magistrate Chibanga said the state had proved the case against Sakala beyond reasonable doubt.
“Those who claim to be prophets must not take advantage of people who have got so many problems. A true missionary or servant of God will do good without expecting anything in return,” magistrate Chibanga said.
“I need to send a warning by giving you a custodial sentence as a message of deterrence. It is unfortunate that people are allowing themselves to be swindled. As communities, people must take precaution to avoid this. There are too many false prophets out there.”
In August, there was laughter in court when Beatrice narrated her ordeal.
Beatrice told magistrate Chibanga that Sakala whom she was referring to as “Papa” demanded for money for every step he took in performing the act of bringing back her hubby whom he claimed died mysteriously.
The witness said papa demanded K500 for booking him and another K500 for booking and transporting the police officers who were going to pick up Kasonde’s husband when he got back to life.
She said before that she was made to pay K20 consultation fee.
Beatrice further narrated that Papa again asked for K300 for buying police officers beer as they were going to do a difficult task of picking her husband from the graveyard.
“He again requested for a K50 for documents,” Kasonde narrated.
She testified that after praying against the nightmares of her late husband, Papa Angel told her that he had communicated with her husband and directed him to go to Kunda in Ndola.
“Papa Angel again demanded for another K1000 for transport to Ndola to pick him up, and another k500 for a blue stone in which he was supposed to be washed,” she explained.
Kasonde said the prophet again asked for K700 for sowing a seed so that evil spirits could stop following her risen husband.
She said Papa asked her not to shave her private parts until her husband came back and added that during the talk, he requested for K400 which she gave him.
About Diggers Reporter
The Diggers Reporter brings you all the latest news.
- Mazabuka mob drags suspect out of hospital, kills him - 20 Feb 2020
- Cops sustain injuries in N/West riots - 1 Feb 2020
- Vedanta warns Milingo against defying court order, selling mine assets - 29 Jan 2020
- PF justifies delivery of ambulance in Chilubi - 22 Jan 2020
- Zambia will keep sex education within religious norms – Mabumba - 16 Dec 2019
- PF official gets terrorism charges over gassing (7,205 views)
- Those lying about knowing gassing masterminds will be charged for causing alarm, warns IG (6,123 views)
- Please China, spare us from Coronavirus (5,162 views)
- Where is the father while the mother weeps “amwa peeling?” (2,836 views)
- Lungu renews Bible Society membership, as netizens drag him back to gassing (2,325 views)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «February 2020»
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- Stop social media abuse – Kafwaya
- Disband Religion Ministry, Sumaili’s actions border on lawlessness
- Mobs kill four more, as police nab 14 for murder
- The real ritual killer is The Mob
- Those lying about knowing gassing masterminds will be charged for causing alarm, warns IG
- Please China, spare us from Coronavirus
- Careless comments on gassing will breed chaos – ZCCB
- PF official gets terrorism charges over gassing
- It’s every man for himself under Lungu – Milupi
- ACC probes Health Minister for corruption
- Chilubi outcome shows 2021 polls won’t be free and fair – AVAP
- Criminals are changing tactics, soldiers can’t root them out instantly – Chama
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend