by Mirriam Chabala on 19 Oct 2019by Julia Malunga on 18 Oct 2019by Natasha Sakala on 17 Oct 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Oct 2019
by Natasha Sakala on 17 Oct 2019by Natasha Sakala on 15 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 15 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 13 Oct 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 17 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 7 Oct 2019
by Diggers Editor on 18 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 13 Oct 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Douty Chibamba on 19 Oct 2019by Felicity Kayumba Kalunga on 18 Oct 2019by Patricia Scotland, Commonwealth Secretary-General on 17 Oct 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Oct 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Sep 2019
Lundazi Central MP has no G12 certificate, Nkunika tells courtBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 25 Feb 2019
Lundazi Central losing independent candidate Bizwayo Nkunika has asked the Constitutional Court to declare the parliamentary seat vacant, alleging that the current Independent member of parliament, Lawrence Nyirenda, does not hold a full Grade 12 certificate.
Nkunika has cited Nyirenda and the Electoral Commission of Zambia (ECZ) as first and second respondents respectively.
In a petition filed in the Constitutional Court, Nkunika stated that he was a candidate in the Lundazi Central constituency during 2016 general elections, while Nyirenda was the sitting member of parliament for the constituency.
But he alleged that Nyirenda did not meet the minimum academic qualifications as prescribed under article 70 of the Republican Constitution because he did not hold a Grade 12 certificate.
Nkunika claimed that ECZ contravened the said article when it allowed Nyirenda to contest the Lundazi Central seat without meeting the minimum qualifications.
He further stated that the ECZ had continued to contravene the said provision by not taking the appropriate actions against Nyirenda, adding that it was aware that he did not submit a Grade 12 certificate as constitutionally required and as per it’s own provisional clearance.
“Arising from this, the petitioner wants the Constitutional Court to order that Nyirenda and ECZ have continued to contravene article 70 and 72 of the Constitution,” read the petition.
He further wants the court to declare the seat vacant and that the ECZ should hold elections within 90 days.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Benny Zulu led us to the crime scene for reconstruction, Cop tells court - 17 Oct 2019
- Italian Hospital, Franciscan Missionary Sisters in land dispute - 16 Oct 2019
- Attempted murder-accused Kaoma UPND chair gets bail - 16 Oct 2019
- Suspected UPND youth applies for habeas corpus - 16 Oct 2019
- LAZ asks ConCourt to dismiss Tutwa’s application to set aside contempt case - 16 Oct 2019
- Police should not wear masks (2,710 views)
- Phiri explains heavy police presence in Lusaka's CBD (2,428 views)
- Benny Zulu led us to the crime scene for reconstruction, Cop tells court (1,723 view)
- Namugala curtails homosexuality debates (1,496 view)
- You're being dared, pull up your socks, Kampyongo tells law enforcement agencies (1,029 view)
- Load shedding: The underlying causes that we are overlooking
- Tough decisions will be made despite close 2021 polls – Lungu
- The Proposed 2019 Constitution Amendment Bill: A Threat to Zambia’s Democracy?
- Police should not wear masks
- SA’s renewed load shedding puts Zesco power import deal at risk – Eskom
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend