- by Osward Sichone in Kafue on 21 Oct 2017by Anastasia Kasongo on 21 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 21 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 20 Oct 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 21 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 18 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Oct 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by By Dr Canisius Banda on 9 Oct 2017by Brig Gen Godfrey Miyanda on 3 Oct 2017by Chishimba Kambwili on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017
- by Joseph Mwenda on 19 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Oct 2017by Aleksander Pichkur on 16 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
Namibia opposition seeks Magufuli’s intervention in HH arrestBy Diggers Reporter on 28 Apr 2017
DTA leader McHenry Venaani has written to the chairperson of the SADC Troika, John Magufuli, demanding that he intervene in the recent arrest of Zambian opposition leader Hakainde Hichilema on treason charges.
Hichilema was charged with treason for allegedly obstructing President Edgar Lungu’s motorcade on a road about two weeks ago.
It was reported that Hichilema’s convoy refused to give way to the presidential motorcade when it passed through the town of Mongu, about 500km west of Lusaka.
In Zambia, treason is punishable by a minimum jail term of 15 years and the maximum sentence is the death penalty.
No bail is granted in such cases.
“The current wave of politically motivated arrests of opposition party leaders and members in Zambia has culminated in the arbitrary arrest and detention of the leader of the official opposition in Zambia, Hakainde Hichilema, for what is at best a minor traffic violation that has creatively been dubbed ‘treason’,” said Venaani.
“It is deplorable for those in the region who fear political competition and opposition to use state machinery to victimise, criminalise and oppress opposition parties, their leaders and their members. SADC and Africa at large does not need reminding that it is actions such as these which have previously and continue to fuel political instability and conflict throughout Africa.”
Venaani asked Magufuli, who is the president of Tanzania, to intervene and “put to an end the politically motivated arrests and detention in Zambia”.
“I also call on the SADC Troika to ensure the immediate release of the UPND president, Hakainde Hichilema.”
About Diggers Reporter
- Arresting officer blacks out after being called to testify against Precious Longwe - 20 Oct 2017
- Simbyakula distances himself from election violence document - 20 Oct 2017
- UPND should stop deceiving people that they are the ones delivering development in their strongholds – Mwila - 19 Oct 2017
- Court jails 3 Zimbabweans for illegal possession of emeralds - 18 Oct 2017
- Lusaka woman denies stealing baby - 18 Oct 2017
- ConCourt was inconsistent in handling Presidential Petition - JCC
- We are not a university for the poor - UNZA
- VP says Mulusa will be disciplined for likening fire tenders to wheelbarrows
- It was a PF provincial rally not a day of prayer - Kambwili
- Bishop Joshua Banda announces auction of Messi's jersey at Day of Prayer
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend