- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 17 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Dec 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Dec 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 14 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 13 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 11 Dec 2017by William Chileshe on 8 Dec 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 16 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 14 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 13 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 12 Dec 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Editor on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 8 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 6 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 2 Dec 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 26 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017
Kasonde bubbling with confidence after KBF retreatBy Mukosha Funga on 13 May 2017
LAZ president Linda Kasonde says the association has come out stronger after her executive survived an impeachment motion and went on to host a peaceful Annual General Meeting.
And Kasonde says the Association’s Facebook page has never broadcast a UPND political event, as recently alleged by PF lawyer Kelvin Bwalya Fube.
Responding to a press query, Kasonde said members of the association who wanted to impeach her realised that it was divisive move.
“Deliberations at the Extraordinary General Meeting went very well. Our members were allowed to express themselves freely on the issue and ultimately the movers of the motion decided to withdraw it. I think we are stronger and more unified as a result,” Kasonde said.
“I think as the EGM showed, no one single member can drive an agenda in the Association. We are a democratic institution and we rely on the collective wisdom of all our members.”
Asked if it was true that the association’s Facebook page once broadcast a UPND political event live, Kasonde said the opposite was true.
“This is not true. LAZ held a press conference on the issue of the threatening statements made against the judiciary by Mr. Amos Chanda at the LAZ Secretariat. Unknown to us one of the attendees, who purported to be a journalist, was live streaming the event onto Mr. [Hakainde] Hichilema’s Facebook page using a phone. Mr. Hichilema himself was not there. As far as I know, the LAZ Facebook page has never been used to livestream anything,” she said.
Kasonde said she had a lot of respect for members of the judiciary and senior members of the association.
“I have a lot of respect for the judiciary and senior members of the profession. LAZ has come to the defence of the judiciary several time since this Council took office,” Kasonde said.
She downplayed threats from KBF that Parliament would dissolve LAZ under her administration.
“I think that both the EGM and the AGM have reaffirmed that the membership has confidence in the Council and also reaffirmed that the Association is stronger in unity. We have reconfirmed our mandate towards promoting and protecting the development of the law, the rule of law, constitutionalism, good governance and social justice for the benefit of all Zambians and we will continue that mandate for many years to come,” said Kasonde.
About Mukosha Funga
Interested in good governance and youth empowerment.
- Court throws out K5bn suit against Mutinta Hichilema - 16 Dec 2017
- NDC attackers are PF sympathisers, but not our members – Kamba - 16 Dec 2017
- Miles rejoins PF, endorses Lungu for 2021 - 14 Dec 2017
- Solicitor General challenges subpoena against Silungwe - 13 Dec 2017
- Let ZAWA complain about my rat song, not PF – Pilato - 13 Dec 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «December 2017»
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend