- by Patricia Mbewe on 16 Oct 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 14 Oct 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Oct 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Oct 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 13 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 13 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 11 Oct 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by By Dr Canisius Banda on 9 Oct 2017by Brig Gen Godfrey Miyanda on 3 Oct 2017by Chishimba Kambwili on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017
- by Aleksander Pichkur on 16 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017by William Chileshe on 13 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 12 Oct 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
Kasonde bubbling with confidence after KBF retreatBy Mukosha Funga on 13 May 2017
LAZ president Linda Kasonde says the association has come out stronger after her executive survived an impeachment motion and went on to host a peaceful Annual General Meeting.
And Kasonde says the Association’s Facebook page has never broadcast a UPND political event, as recently alleged by PF lawyer Kelvin Bwalya Fube.
Responding to a press query, Kasonde said members of the association who wanted to impeach her realised that it was divisive move.
“Deliberations at the Extraordinary General Meeting went very well. Our members were allowed to express themselves freely on the issue and ultimately the movers of the motion decided to withdraw it. I think we are stronger and more unified as a result,” Kasonde said.
“I think as the EGM showed, no one single member can drive an agenda in the Association. We are a democratic institution and we rely on the collective wisdom of all our members.”
Asked if it was true that the association’s Facebook page once broadcast a UPND political event live, Kasonde said the opposite was true.
“This is not true. LAZ held a press conference on the issue of the threatening statements made against the judiciary by Mr. Amos Chanda at the LAZ Secretariat. Unknown to us one of the attendees, who purported to be a journalist, was live streaming the event onto Mr. [Hakainde] Hichilema’s Facebook page using a phone. Mr. Hichilema himself was not there. As far as I know, the LAZ Facebook page has never been used to livestream anything,” she said.
Kasonde said she had a lot of respect for members of the judiciary and senior members of the association.
“I have a lot of respect for the judiciary and senior members of the profession. LAZ has come to the defence of the judiciary several time since this Council took office,” Kasonde said.
She downplayed threats from KBF that Parliament would dissolve LAZ under her administration.
“I think that both the EGM and the AGM have reaffirmed that the membership has confidence in the Council and also reaffirmed that the Association is stronger in unity. We have reconfirmed our mandate towards promoting and protecting the development of the law, the rule of law, constitutionalism, good governance and social justice for the benefit of all Zambians and we will continue that mandate for many years to come,” said Kasonde.
About Mukosha Funga
Interested in good governance and youth empowerment.
- UNZA gives “Ruins” to female students in a bid to stop riots - 16 Oct 2017
- IMF presses Zambia redefine its borrowing plans - 16 Oct 2017
- Chama reiterates govt’s support for aviation industry - 16 Oct 2017
- Amnesty International SG to discuss human rights challenges with Lungu, others - 16 Oct 2017
- HH, GBM get another nolle in “seditious practices” case - 16 Oct 2017
You may also like...
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «October 2017»
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend