- by Mukosha Funga on 21 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 21 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 21 Aug 2019
- by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019by Memory Chipili in Solwezi on 20 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 17 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 28 Jul 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Obasanjo is leading international cartel to dent Zambia’s image – PFBy Mukosha Funga on 14 May 2017
The Patriotic Front says there is an international cartel led by former Nigerian president Olusegun Obasanjo, which is bent on giving Zambia a bad name following the arrest of Hakainde Hichilema.
In a statement to discredit Obasanjo’s article published by the Rand Daily Mail of South Africa, which trivialised the treason charge leveled against HH, PF deputy secretary general Mumbi Phiri accused the Ex-Nigerian military ruler’s regime of killing civilians.
“We appreciate the role General Olusegun Obasanjo is trying to play as an elderly African statesman in discussing the political developments in Zambia. Sometimes, however, we feel he is trying too much, especially when it comes to the seemingly hapless but nevertheless reckless comments he keeps making regarding the on-going trial of Hakainde Hichilema,” Mumbi stated yesterday.
“In a bid to be relevant and to continue getting paid, Mr Obasanjo, has been making all manner of poisonous statements on Zambia. If you were not in Zambia today, you would think the serene Southern African nation was on fire based on the inflammatory statements coming out of Mr Obasanjo and his boss Greg Mills, the head of the Oppenheimer financed Brenthurst Foundation.”
Mumbi went on to discredit Brenthurst Foundation, a Johannesburg-based think-tank established by the Oppenheimer family to help source funds for African developments.
“Critical questions for the reader: who heads the Foundation? What sort of relationship does he (Obasanjo) have with Hichilema? Was he in Zambia before the last elections? What kind of services did he offer to the UPND leader? Answering these questions will reveal why this cartel is bent on giving Zambia a bad name!” she exclaimed.
“We all know how the Oppeinhermer’s made their money in South Africa under the apartheid regime—money from diamonds as 80 percent of black South Africans died in poverty and remain poor today. The oppeinheimer’s swim in stupendous wealth today as they bankroll the Brenthurst Foundation through former military leader Obasanjo and Mills to make it appear as though Zambia is on fire.”
She accused Obasanjo’s regime of causing the death of Fela Kuti’s family members.
“Mr Obasanjo was once accused of being responsible for political repression in Nigeria. In one particular recorded instance, the compound of Nigerian immensely famous musician and political activist Fela Kuti was raided and gutted to the ground after a member of his commune was involved in an altercation with military personnel. Mr Fela, the late and his family especially female family members were beaten and raped, and his mother was killed by being thrown from a window. This happened under Gen Obasanjo,” Mumbi stated.
“As a party, we are tired of reading distortions in the international press skewed at making us look bad. From now on, every lie told about us shall be countered with the harsh truth of those peddling the lies. Stop telling lies about Zambia and President Lungu; we shall stop telling the truth about you too!
In an article co-authored with Greg Mills Obasanjo wrote: “The Zambian government has recently jailed the leader of the opposition, Hakainde Hichilema, on treason charges. The catalyst was a traffic incident involving rival motorcades. The stage to this extreme action was however set earlier with a contested election result in August 2016. These specific events also indicate a deeper malaise in the absence of a system of government which encourages a loyal opposition, a system of government whereby oppositions can oppose the actions of an executive even though their loyalty to the source of the government’s power is unquestioned.”
About Mukosha Funga
Mukosha is interested in good governance and anti-corruption reporting.
- Lungu leads 34 member delegation to India - 21 Aug 2019
- Lungu won’t meet Vedanta boss, clarifies Chipampe - 20 Aug 2019
- We can give mine licenses to Zambians, but we also need foreign investors – Musukwa - 19 Aug 2019
- Tutwa leads campaign to impeach LAZ president - 14 Aug 2019
- Lungu meets Vedanta boss, insists liquidation will proceed - 14 Aug 2019
- Ndulo, Sangwa must be drunk to think they can sue Lungu - Tutwa (2,637 views)
- Opposition MPs with plots in Forest 27 must give them up - Nkombo (2,474 views)
- State witness in Chimese’s case in court for perjury (2,050 views)
- If some UPND MPs want to support Bill 10, they must reflect, think about the people - Mwiimbu (1,413 view)
- Ingredients are right for UPND to form govt - HH (1,083 view)
- Lungu leads 34 member delegation to India
- PF clueless on how to fix declining economy – Kabimba
- You’ll create constitutional crisis if you rule Matibini out of order on Roan seat, Mwansa tells ConCourt
- Mealie meal has become too expensive for ordinary Zambians – Msoni
- British envoy urges Chevening scholars to use their talent to develop Zambia after study
- Lungu was one of my brightest pupils, retired teacher tells court
- Tutwa leads campaign to impeach LAZ president
- It's not LAZ but 2,3 overzealous lawyers challenging Bill 10 - Siliya
- Development will follow those who cry the most, says Lungu
- I'm suing Tutwa for alleging that I've been paid to fight govt - LAZ president
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend