- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Oct 2017by Linda Jere on 21 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 21 Oct 2017by Osward Sichone in Kafue on 21 Oct 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 21 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 18 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Oct 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by By Dr Canisius Banda on 9 Oct 2017by Brig Gen Godfrey Miyanda on 3 Oct 2017by Chishimba Kambwili on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017
- by Joseph Mwenda on 19 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Oct 2017by Aleksander Pichkur on 16 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
AU hails Lungu for championing campaign against child marriageBy Mukosha Funga on 14 Jun 2017
The African Union (AU) has commended President Edgar Lungu for championing the campaign to end child marriages on the continent.
This is according to a statement issued by Zambia’s First Secretary for Press in Ethiopia Inutu Mwanza.
Speaking at the open session of the Peace and Security Council, AU Commissioner for Social Affairs Amira Al-Fadil said President Lungu has shown commitment by ensuring that the ban of child marriages remained on the front banner of any developmental discourse across the continent and beyond.
She said it was important to raise more awareness on the dangers of child marriages.
“It is my hope that we will come up with concrete solutions that protect the psychosocial and overall well-being of children in Africa,” Elfadil said.
And chairing the Peace and Security Council meeting, Zambia’s Ambassador to Ethiopia Susan Sikaneta said President Lungu was committed to the fight against early marriages in Africa.
She said since being appointed continental champion in the fight against early marriages President Lungu has shown resolve and determination to end the vice.
And Ambassador Sikaneta said it was high time the Peace and Security Council considered the urgent need to end child marriages in Africa because of the many negative multiplier effects child marriage has on society.
“Alarming statistics reveal that more than 452 women on the continent die each day in pregnancy related cases and this is particularly the young women who are not ready for such,” Ambassador Sikaneta said.
She called for initiatives that fully address child marriage such as proposing a qualifying age for marriage to make it illegal for a girl below that age to get into marriage.
“Worldwide, more than 700 million women alive today have married as children and of these 17% or 125 million live in Africa. Approximately, 39%of girls in sub-Saharan Africa are married before the age of 18,” Ambassador Sikaneta said.
“This comes with serious consequences on young women’s health including contracting Aids and having multiple complications as they are not ready for bearing children and for intimate relationship.”
Several Member states of the Peace and Security Council commended the AU for the strides it was making in fighting early child marriage.
They called for legal frameworks that would discourage early marriages in African Countries.
Africa holds the second highest rate of child marriages globally, with South Asia as first.
About Mukosha Funga
Interested in good governance and youth empowerment.
- Until Jesus comes, UPND will never produce a President – Mwila - 21 Oct 2017
- Come in numbers, Kanyama rally is on – GBM - 21 Oct 2017
- ConCourt was inconsistent in handling Presidential Petition – JCC - 20 Oct 2017
- VP says Mulusa will be disciplined for likening fire tenders to wheelbarrows - 20 Oct 2017
- Ministry warns of Cholera spread if UPND rally goes ahead - 20 Oct 2017
- ConCourt was inconsistent in handling Presidential Petition - JCC
- We are not a university for the poor - UNZA
- VP says Mulusa will be disciplined for likening fire tenders to wheelbarrows
- It was a PF provincial rally not a day of prayer - Kambwili
- Bishop Joshua Banda announces auction of Messi's jersey at Day of Prayer
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «October 2017»
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend