- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Oct 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Oct 2017by Patricia Mbewe and Anastasia Kasongo on 23 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Oct 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mukosha Funga on 23 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 21 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 18 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Oct 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Oct 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by By Dr Canisius Banda on 9 Oct 2017by Brig Gen Godfrey Miyanda on 3 Oct 2017by Chishimba Kambwili on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017
- by Joseph Mwenda on 19 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Oct 2017by Aleksander Pichkur on 16 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Dr. Vernon J Mwaanga on 23 Oct 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017
PF risks fielding ineligible Edgar Lungu in 2021By Mukosha Funga on 24 Jul 2017
In the audio below, Wynter Kabimba says the PF risks fielding an ineligible candidate in the 2021 general elections if they keep endorsing President Edgar Lungu without waiting for the court to declare him legally qualified to recontest the presidency.
And Kabimba says people must learn from Chishimba Kambwili’s expulsion from the PF that “those who kill by the sword die by the sword”.
In an interview with News Diggers! the Rainbow Party General Secretary wondered why the PF central Committee was bragging about endorsing President Lungu as a sole candidate ahead of the 2021 general elections when there was a court case pending adjudication on whether the incumbent qualified to contest the presidency for the third time.
“This matter is in court, I think there is an action that is pending by PF itself. By a group of people led by Reverend Dan Pule, they have taken this matter to court to seek the court’s interpretation. Before that interpretation comes, they are making that resolution. For me, it shows their impunity and contempt towards the Constitutional Court. They are accelerating this view which is being held by members of the public that our judiciary may not be independent of political influence. That is what they are doing. They are acting as if they know the decision of the court already because if they have lawyers there and Edgar himself being a lawyer, he should be telling them, ‘can you wait until this matter has been decided upon because we are the ones that took this matter to court’,” Kabimba observed.
“But also, if they are not careful about this matter, and they proceed the way they are proceeding, they may end up having a candidate running for elections even winning that election and going for an unconstitutional term which will haunt him in future. They may end up having a candidate who doesn’t qualify, who may even win the election and run an unconstitutional term and surely that will come round and haunt him when another government comes into office. So they have to be very careful, this is not a matter that they should play around with.”
Take a listen:
Kabimba feared that it was possible for the Electoral Commission of Zambia to allow an ineligible presidential candidate to contest polls.
“If you do not qualify but for some reason the ECZ in the situation in which we are, accepts your papers that you have qualified and after five years, another government comes into being and they say that the man did not qualify, it means that you were in office illegally. And he must be punished for that, so this is not a matter that they must be playing around with, this is a serious matter. What does it mean? It means that you must pay back all the emoluments that were paid to you in that five years. That’s my view,” he said.
“So this is not a party matter, it is a constitutional matter. It is one thing if you just don’t qualify under the party constitution and you qualify under the republican constitution but it is another thing even if your party says yes and the Constitution says no but you bulldoze your way through, it means you have committed an offence and all those individuals in those institutions that may have assisted you in doing that commit an offence and this is what comes to haunt people when they are out of office.”
And Kabimba reminded expelled Kambwili that those who live by the sword die by it.
“The only comment I can make on Kambwili is that there is a big lesson that those who kill by the sword shall die by the sword. Kambwili and his group thought that I was their impediment in their becoming presidents of the Patriotic Front and hence the concerted fight against me. And then now, I am sure he realizes that even without me, he is not getting that opportunity. So those who kill by the sword shall die by the sword.
About Mukosha Funga
Interested in good governance and youth empowerment.
- Irregular fuel pricing denotes instability in Zambia’s economy – ActionAid - 23 Oct 2017
- Kambwili is our political consultant – NDC - 22 Oct 2017
- DCs must stay within their districts – Mwila - 22 Oct 2017
- UPND moves rally to Munali next Sunday - 22 Oct 2017
- Until Jesus comes, UPND will never produce a President – Mwila - 21 Oct 2017
You may also like...
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «October 2017»
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend