- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Fire sweeps through Ndola’s KapalalaBy Mukosha Funga on 30 Aug 2017
Fire has swept through Kapalala market in Masala township in Ndola destroying merchandise in over 3,000 shops.
The market has been reduced to ashes from an inferno that started between 01:00 and 02:00hours.
A combined team of fire fighters and the residents managed to put out the fire, but it was too late to salvage much.
According to Ndola mayor Amon Chisenga who visited the place in the early hours, over 3,000 stands have been destroyed.
The cause of the fire is yet to be established.
Meanwhile, Kabushi member of parliament Bowman Lusambo said the market was a place for thousands of people who depended on trading for the livelihoods.
“It is with a deep sense of concern that I announce that almost the entire Masala Kapalala Market in Masala Township. Skyways Ward in Kabushi Constituency has burnt to ashes destroying merchandise belonging to hundreds of Marketeers who depend on this market for their livelihoods,” Lusambo who is also Copperbelt minister said.
“Information gathered so far indicate that the fire started around 01:00 Hours. The cause of the fire has not yet been identified and the fire has since been put out by a brave team of fire fighters with the help of the local people. I would have visited the scene this morning but I am away in Lusaka attending to Cabinet duties but I wish to assure my people that I will visit the scene later today and empathise with the victims of this devastation.”
About Mukosha Funga
Mukosha is interested in good governance and anti-corruption reporting.
- UNZA owes ZRA, others K2.8bn, as audit reveals mismanagement of funds - 7 Apr 2020
- State of Emergency unnecessary – Kasonde - 30 Mar 2020
- Southern Africa Human Rights Defenders Network calls for Sangwa’s reinstatement - 20 Mar 2020
- Parley adjournment God-given opportunity to campaign for Bill 10 – Lubinda - 20 Mar 2020
- UN Rapporteur on Independence of Judges and Lawyers defends Sangwa - 16 Mar 2020
- It’s inhuman for Chanda to undermine HH’s donation of soap, sanitisers – UPND (3,238 views)
- Is Kampyongo suggesting that slim people, like his appointing authority are HIV suspects? (2,724 views)
- UPND blames Nangula loss on COVID-19 (2,319 views)
- Kampyongo's mockery of people on ARVs unacceptable - NAC (2,159 views)
- We’re considering asking landlords to forego rentals amid COVID-19 – Siliya (1,729 view)
- COVID-19 is airborne? Why is Ministry of Health misleading us?
- Is Kampyongo suggesting that slim people, like his appointing authority are HIV suspects?
- We’re already on lockdown – Lungu
- Introduce SI to stop landlords from collecting rentals, Changala urges govt
- Why whip patrons if there's no lockdown?
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- It’s illegal for police to whip citizens – Mweetwa
- UNZA owes ZRA, others K2.8bn, as audit reveals mismanagement of funds
- PF’s Nangula victory a 2021 sample – Mundubile
- Tutwa refutes UPND’s Bill 10 bribery claims
- We’re considering asking landlords to forego rentals amid COVID-19 – Siliya
- Govt, FRA’s deal with millers failed to cut mealie meal prices – IAPRI
- Habitat urges govt to improve living conditions in unplanned settlements
- SACCORD hails PF, UPND for peaceful Nangula poll
- ZRA’s tax audit on media houses within its mandate but wrongly timed – MISA
- Kamusoko, Mangani on path to recovery
- Govt must carry out robust awareness campaign against COVID-19 – CSPR
- Siwale welcomes FIFA’s intervention in FAZ wrangles
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
[search_popup]Send this to a friend