by Diggers Reporter on 15 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 14 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 14 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 14 Sep 2019
by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 13 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 12 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 11 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 15 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 9 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 7 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 5 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Police arrest Laura, othersBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 29 Sep 2017
Police in Lusaka have arrested Alliance for Community Action executive director Laura Miti, PeP president Sean Tembo, singer Chama Fumba (Pilato) and several other protesters who marched to Parliament to demonstrate against the purchase of 42 fire tenders at a cost of US$42 million.
The protesters gathered at Puma Filling Station at Arcades around 12:30 led by Tembo, singer Pilato and ZCSD executive director Lewis Mwape and were later joined by Miti who had been summoned by police.
Miti and her fellow protesters carried placards inscribed “The President doesn’t know, the Minister doesn’t know, who knows?” Other banners were written, “wake up Zambia, it’s our money.
As they approached the National Assembly entrance, police officers grabbed and destroyed their placards, but resolved to go ahead with their protest, Miti and her colleagues went to sit peacefully on a pavement near the entrance to Parliament building.
However, a horde of PF cadres arrived a few minutes later chanting, “let the police do their work, get out of here”, among other rantings.
Police then moved on to arrest Miti, Pilato, Tembo and others.
As they were being led to a police van, Miti was heard shouting, “Let us protest, it is our money! Why are you arresting us when you have left the PF cadres just standing there?”
Earlier police summoned Miti to Force Headquarters to warn her against protesting.
“Mrs Katongo, Esther Katongo (Police Spokesperson) called me and said I was invited for a meeting with the Deputy IG before 12,” said Miti.
Earlier, Police delivered a letter to Miti’s office in which they requested her to schedule the protest for another time saying they did not have adequate manpower to facilitate.
But in her reply, Miti stated that the protests could not be postponed because they were strategically scheduled for today when Minister of Finance would present the national budget.
After the arrest of the protesters, Police issued a statement saying they would keep Miti and other protesters in detention until they were charged.
“Six persons were today arrested at Parliament by Police. Those arrested are: Laura Miti aged 52 of PHI in Lusaka who is Director of Alliance for Community Action, Female Mika Mwambazi aged 30 of NRDC and a freelance consultant, male Sean Tembo aged 37 of Lusaka’s Avondale who is party president for Patriots for Economic Progress (PeP), Male Fumba Chama aged 33 of Kansenshi in Ndola, Lewis Mwape aged 44 of Balastone Villa who is Executive Director for Zambia Council for Social Development (ZCSD) and Male Bonwell Mwewa aged 43 of PHI in Lusaka.They are detained in custody and will soon be charged,” stated Katongo.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube has a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Zambia’s power deficit reaches 700MW, reveals energy minister - 15 Sep 2019
- If you don’t want to refine our constitution, we will refine it – Lungu - 14 Sep 2019
- Allow us to donate relief food where there’s need than giving DMMU – UPND - 13 Sep 2019
- Govt must stop appointing cadres on boards of oversight institutions – TIZ - 13 Sep 2019
- Farmers are praising Lungu, PF for a good maize price – Siliya - 13 Sep 2019
- If you don’t want to refine our constitution, we will refine it - Lungu (2,596 views)
- I'm not a drug dealer, I don't know Goswami, says Findlay (2,566 views)
- 4 Lusaka men sue Kaizer Zulu for kidnapping and beating them (1,438 view)
- Kambwili is already a dead man, no one can kill him – Mumbi (1,265 view)
- Govt deports Top Star's CEO (1,188 view)
- It makes us sad that we can't stick to load shedding schedule - Zesco
- Switch to cheaper food, Wina urges Zambians
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe
- It's impossible to reduce mealie meal prices, brace for harder times, warns GBM
- Chipolopolo had horror moment in Brazzaville - FAZ
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend