- by Mukosha Funga on 21 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 21 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 21 Aug 2019
- by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019by Memory Chipili in Solwezi on 20 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 17 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 28 Jul 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
IMF has proved Mutati a liar – NeversBy Mirriam Chabala on 14 Oct 2017
MMD president Nevers Mumba says the International Monetary Fund (IMF)’s position on Zambia’s actual external debt stock has vindicated him and proved finance minister Felix Mutati a liar.
Mumba told News Diggers! in an interview that the IMF’s remarks that Zambia’s external debt was likely to put the country at high risk of debt distress if borrowing was not slowed down, proved that Mutati was not honest when he told Parliament that the country’s debt stood at $7.2 billion earlier this year.
“I am very grateful that the IMF has echoed the concerns that we raised a couple of months ago. I did mention to the nation that Mr Mutati had lied to Parliament and to the nation about the true debt stock of our country. I hope that Mr Mutati did receive the numbers which we got from his officers at the Ministry of Finance that brought the actual debt to about $23 billion. I asked him to prove us wrong by giving us the tentative figure, and show us how they arrived at the $7.2 billion, he never replied to that,” Mumba observed.
“A month later, I wrote another letter reminding him (Mutati) that it was my right as a citizen to receive a response from the minister of finance, but again he disregarded that letter. He has not replied. So we are very encouraged and vindicated by the IMF when they raised the same concerns that we have raised earlier on about the country’s correct debt. This [IMF] reports proves Mutati a liar”
And Mumba said it was wrong for Mutati to use the pettiness of politics and escape questions from the MMD on pretext that he was the rightful president of the former ruling party.
“I think that this minister (Mutati) must learn that that Ministry is a public office and it has nothing to do with emotional concerns of him fakely being called president of MMD. It cannot be that because I am also president of MMD then he is not going to answer the letters I write to him, I think it has nothing to do with that petty belief. So we demand that he tells us the truth about Zambia’s debt position,” Mumba said.
“So what we are going to do now is that we are going to go back to his office when he comes back from Washington DC and sit with him with our numbers so that he can help us understand what our debt stock is. Then we are also going to write to the IMF again, asking them not to honour their programme with Zambia at the moment until the debt stock is revealed. Until the governance record is improved.
He urged Zambians to mount pressure on the government to reveal the true debt position.
“We have to put pressure on this government. All they are going to say like Mr Chikwanda (former finance minister) has rightly put it, is that ‘the country’s economy is under stress’. This means that the numbers of debt are not accurate and the budget that was just given is a distorted budget. There is no proof in terms of the numbers given in that budget,” said Mumba.
“I want to warn this government that they can do all the politics they want They can stop us from having our freedoms and liberties of meeting as opposition political parties. They can keep imprisoning us for challenging their corruption. But I want to assure them that numbers don’t lie. they can manipulate all of us but numbers don’t lie. Soon the truth will come out to embarrass and their legacy will be totally distorted.”
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Kabimba to commence judicial review proceedings into 48 houses scandal - 12 Aug 2019
- It’s nonsense for Lungu to exclude himself from austerity measures – Kambwili - 12 Aug 2019
- We need genuine dialogue before any constitutional amendment – Sacika - 12 Aug 2019
- UPND responds to Moonga: Tribal campaigns no longer sell because we are all suffering - 9 Aug 2019
- Govt can’t announce new KCM investor because case is in court – Musukwa - 9 Aug 2019
- Ndulo, Sangwa must be drunk to think they can sue Lungu - Tutwa (2,637 views)
- Opposition MPs with plots in Forest 27 must give them up - Nkombo (2,474 views)
- State witness in Chimese’s case in court for perjury (2,050 views)
- If some UPND MPs want to support Bill 10, they must reflect, think about the people - Mwiimbu (1,413 view)
- Ingredients are right for UPND to form govt - HH (1,083 view)
- Lungu leads 34 member delegation to India
- PF clueless on how to fix declining economy – Kabimba
- You’ll create constitutional crisis if you rule Matibini out of order on Roan seat, Mwansa tells ConCourt
- Mealie meal has become too expensive for ordinary Zambians – Msoni
- British envoy urges Chevening scholars to use their talent to develop Zambia after study
- Lungu was one of my brightest pupils, retired teacher tells court
- Tutwa leads campaign to impeach LAZ president
- It's not LAZ but 2,3 overzealous lawyers challenging Bill 10 - Siliya
- Development will follow those who cry the most, says Lungu
- I'm suing Tutwa for alleging that I've been paid to fight govt - LAZ president
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend