by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 12 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 11 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 16 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 9 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 7 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
17 board meetings at RTSA shock Parliamentary CommitteeBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Jan 2018
PAC chairperson Howard Kunda says it is a clear case of abuse of authority for the RTSA board to meet 17 times; accumulating over K2 million in allowances when the law stipulates that a board can only have four board meetings in a year.
The latest Auditor General’s report on parastatals revealed that the Webster Nonde-led board met more times than normal in 2015 resulting in overpayment of K2,038,081 in allowances.
In an interview, Wednesday, Kunda said the board should have followed the rules of having four board meetings in a year.
“These are the things that we have always talked against because this country has rules and those rules are supposed to be followed. If the law says board meetings are supposed to be one per quarter definitely its supposed to be four times in a year. Of course it may be acceptable if there is something occurring then you would expect that maybe two or three more board meetings will be held apart from the four that is allocated in a year,” he said.
“If they are held even up to six times, that’s acceptable. But to have board meetings 17 times? That is clear abuse of authority and one would expect that such kind of issues are investigated by the investigative wings. And also to ensure that these monies that are allocated towards different sectors are used according to the intended purpose so that this country can move forward. Instead of us spending money on one thing that, if you investigate, may not even have been necessary for such kind of money.”
And Commenting on RTSA’s K62 million debt with ZRA in unpaid Pay As You Earn, Kunda wondered where the money deducted from employees was taken.
“The law is that everyone is supposed to pay Pay As You Earn and if they deduct Pay As You Earn from people then its supposed to be remitted to ZRA and that’s what is expected. We have pondered on these issues at PAC. As we were sitting we found that there are so many departments of government that were neglecting to remit Pay As You Earn to ZRA,” said Kunda.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Airtel agent in court for defiling wife’s sisters - 16 Sep 2019
- British man in court for assaulting Zambian cleaner girlfriend - 16 Sep 2019
- 4 Lusaka men sue Kaizer Zulu for kidnapping and beating them - 13 Sep 2019
- Judge Nkonde asks ConCourt to dismiss M’membe’s application for review of costs - 13 Sep 2019
- If Nevers is allowed to lead the party, there’ll be no MMD, witness tells court - 13 Sep 2019
- We warned Lungu over his friendship with Valden Findlay (4,799 views)
- Findlay knows Goswami; I've been in their presence before, reveals Kaweche Kaunda (2,238 views)
- British man in court for assaulting Zambian cleaner girlfriend (1,610 view)
- Bill 10 is nonsensical – Chongwe (1,524 view)
- How will judges rule on Bill 10 after submitting to Parley? (1,280 view)
- It makes us sad that we can't stick to load shedding schedule - Zesco
- Switch to cheaper food, Wina urges Zambians
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe
- It's impossible to reduce mealie meal prices, brace for harder times, warns GBM
- Chipolopolo had horror moment in Brazzaville - FAZ
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend