- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
UPND, NDC fail to contest Kasenengwa by-electionBy Mukosha Funga on 10 Aug 2018
Zambia’s biggest opposition party, the United Party for National Development (UPND) has failed to contest a parliamentary by-election for the first time, in as many years.
And the National Democratic Congress which is practically Zambia’s third force, if Chishimba Kambwili’s popularity is anything to go by, has also failed to find a candidate after it’s selected official filed his nomination under the ruling Patriotic Front.
In a shocking turn of events the UPND’s adopted candidate Dr Faustin Banda, bolted just hours before the nomination yesterday, and the party leadership accused the “enemies of democracy” of bribing him.
Banda who is a lecturer at the University of Zambia also switched off his phones, leaving the UPND with no option but to report him to the police for obtaining money and campaign material under false pretences.
“I wish to make an announcement here concerning the happenings of the last 24 hours. Yesterday, we issued a statement on the candidate that we had adopted for the Kasanengwa constituency by-election. But I want to report now that the enemies of democracy are at it again. Just like it happened to our colleagues in the NDC, our candidate Dr Faustin Banda has disappeared after getting an adoption certificate and campaign materials for Kasanengwa constituency by-election,” UPND general secretary Stephen Katuka informed the press yesterday.
“Dr Banda was our candidate in 2016 election and we were under a wrong impression that he was a stable person. We also gave him some cash which he has disappeared with. We strongly think that the Zambian people will now understand the position of our competitors which has been characterised by price tagging on people and buying them. We are now proceeding to report Dr Banda to the police for obtaining money by false pretences.”
At the time of the press briefing the UPND was hopeful that it would find a replacement.
“Dr Banda has switched off his phone and he is nowhere to be seen. We are trying to find an alternative candidate at the 11th hour but this will depend on the people of Eastern Province to give us a candidate from there then we will file this afternoon. I believe it is our competitors who are doing that. The political environment is not conducive for certain people. That’s why for people in politics, you must be thick skinned, those with weak minds, the weaker souls cannot stand in politics that’s why we are going through this situation,” said Katuka.
News Diggers however, gathered that the UPND could not find a replacement.
“We have actually failed to file in. We had found two replacements and one was allowed to file the nomination. The adoption certificate was sent to Kasenengwa and ECZ accepted to process the nomination, but then because this candidate was yet to travel at the time, his physical signature was missing. That’s how we fell out,” a UPND source told News Diggers.
And NDC national secretary Mwenya Musenge accused the PF of buying of it’s candidate.
“The National Democratic Congress will not participate in the Kasenengwa parliamentary by-election set for next month. The party has suffered a set back after its preferred parliamentary candidate Sensio Banda was bought off by the PF,” said Musenge.
“Mr Banda has since successfully field in his nomination under the PF. Up until five days ago, Mr Banda was a bonafide member of the NDC. Mr Banda sat on the select committee of the NDC that has been tasked to draw up the party manifesto. The party is deeply disturbed by attempts by the PF to cripple the opposition in the country. This is the second time that the PF has bought off a prospective electoral candidate from the NDC.”
Only three parties managed to file their nominations, among the the PF and the People’s Alliance for change (PAC) whose candidate is John Zulu.
About Mukosha Funga
Mukosha is interested in good governance and anti-corruption reporting.
- PF lied to Zambians – Sangwa - 28 Feb 2020
- Foreign missions unpaid for upto 4 months, govt says there’s no money - 25 Feb 2020
- Top Chingola cops implicated in gassing incidences - 19 Feb 2020
- Wina is lying, Zambia suffering because of theft in govt, not because of by-elections – Sangwa - 17 Feb 2020
- Legana factory is extremely clean, testifies Nawakwi - 12 Feb 2020
- If Lungu doesn’t know, then he’s not in control (19,179 views)
- We’ve arrested 2 gassing masterminds, claims Kampyongo (7,301 views)
- Gassing a ploy to keep me from 2021 ballot - HH (7,300 views)
- DEC seizes Bugatti on suspicion of money laundering (5,342 views)
- Witnesses turn against accused in Sunday Nkonde's theft (2,905 views)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «February 2020»
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- PF lied to Zambians – Sangwa
- Chongwe’s advice on Bill 10 too late – Mundubile
- High Court refuses to restrain Dangote from quarrying on Masaiti farmland
- Kariba over-generating power from little water, says Nkhuwa
- ECZ was satisfied with my G12 results, insists Lundazi MP
- Diggers, EIA oppose Lubinda’s application for interim injunction
- Govt hasn’t failed to manage public universities, claims Mushimba
- Bowman’s continued attacks on HH exposing his abnormality – Mucheleka
- Bill 10 is opposition’s best chance of forming govt in 2021 – Tutwa
- Zamtel cleans balance sheet through K390m debt to equity swap with Infratel
- Kambwili condemns Dora for justifying extrajudicial killings
- Gassing a PF scheme to destabilize UPND – Sacika
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend