- by Julia Malunga on 20 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 19 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 19 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 19 Aug 2019
- by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 17 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 17 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 16 Aug 2019
- by Julia Malunga on 19 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Aug 2019by Daniel Chansa on 16 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 28 Jul 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
I won’t fire innocent Chitotela, let ACC prove in court – LunguBy Mukosha Funga on 8 Feb 2019
President Edgar Lungu says Housing and Infrastructure Development Minister Ronald Chitotela will stay in Cabinet despite being arrested on corruption charges because he is innocent until proven guilty.
And President Lungu says he is not willing to lose Chitotela the same way he lost Roan PF member of parliament Chishimba Kambwili because according to him, the two men are innocent as at now.
Speaking to journalists, Thursday, the Head of State wondered what Zambian citizens expected him to do after Chitotela’s arrest.
“A suspect in the eyes of law enforcement agencies can be arrested. And they have chosen to arrest Honorable Chitotela, so what has that got to do with me? He is a suspect and in their wisdom, they chose to arrest him so what should I do?” President Lungu asked.
He said he “lost” Kambwili on similar allegations and he was not willing to lose Chitotela.
“We are fighting corruption…so they have to prove before the courts of law and I hope they give him a chance to prove himself, if he is corrupt. But you see, what I don’t want to do is to politicize the fight against corruption. Remember how I lost Chishimba Kambwili? They came to me, they said he is corrupt. I said ‘investigate him’, they investigated him, along the way they said ‘he is not cooperating, he is insulting us, you know he is very vulgar’, I am sorry to say that but he is vulgar, he can be vulgar, they were crying in my office, I said ‘what can I do?’ In my judgement, I said ‘remove him’, I removed him. Chishimba, up to now we are waiting for the ACC, the DEC and all those who brought allegations against him to prove their allegations in the courts of law. So you want me to lose Chitotela on that basis again? I am saying no. I will give them leeway to arrest and prosecute, bring to court the culprit but I will not interfere, I will even fund them to do their operations but those who are calling for the removal of honorable Chitotela now, I say ‘no, give me space to breathe’, but don’t interfere with the process, bring your evidence but let him also have his day in court,” President Lungu said.
“That’s what justice [entails], and I am a lawyer. And if you look at the Bill of Rights, I think Article 18, it starts with presumption of innocence. So as far as I am concerned, he is innocent. As far as I am concerned, even Chishimba Kambwili is innocent. But look at where Chishimba Kambwili is. ‘No Lungu is fighting Chishimba Kambwili, Lungu this’, no, I have never fought Chishimba Kambwili. What I had was a report from the law enforcement agencies that ‘Chishimba has done one, two, three wrongs, we are investigating him’, like many others. And I said ‘go ahead’. At a certain point, they said ‘we can’t get anything, no cooperation from him and I said ‘what do I do? In my wisdom I removed him from office, the rest is history. He pledged to work with us, the next thing he was saying I am corrupt, I don’t care what has happened but I am just saying I even lost Chishimba Kambwili because of allegations of corruption by the same forces. I don’t want to lose Chitotela in the same manner.”
President said he hoped both Kambwili and Chitotela would find justice.
“I am saying may Chishimba Kambwili find justice, may Chitotela find justice, may all those who are alleged to be corrupt find justice, that’s how the rule of law works. One of the precepts of rule of law is there is no one above the law. When the police feel like investigating you, they will investigate you. When they feel like coming to your home at night to search, they will search. And I can’t tell them ‘go and search Tom Njobvu’s home, go and search that girl’s home, it is not in my mandate. So, let us not politicize the fight against corruption. There is a perception that by doing that they are weakening Lungu, they are not weakening me, they are just killing the systems we have set to fight corruption genuinely. So what comment do you want me to make? May justice be done. ‘No, I am fighting (protecting) Chitotela because he knows too much about me’, what have I done? ‘No Chitotela has got money on my behalf’, I am not a businessman, I am just a politician mandated to lead Zambia,” said President Lungu.
Take a listen:
About Mukosha Funga
Mukosha is interested in good governance and anti-corruption reporting.
- We can give mine licenses to Zambians, but we also need foreign investors – Musukwa - 19 Aug 2019
- Tutwa leads campaign to impeach LAZ president - 14 Aug 2019
- Lungu meets Vedanta boss, insists liquidation will proceed - 14 Aug 2019
- Bill 10 illegal, ConCourt must act without fear – TIZ - 14 Aug 2019
- ECZ finally announces Nshindano as new CEO - 13 Aug 2019
- Opposition MPs with plots in Forest 27 must give them up - Nkombo (2,132 views)
- Lungu is in gear 5 of 2021 campaigns (1,851 view)
- Mercury Security Services sues Lusaka lawyer over K2m fees (941 views)
- UPND reports GBM to police for 'tribal hatred' (896 views)
- Only a miracle can stop kwacha’s depreciation – Hamaundu (881 views)
- Lungu must urgently declare hunger crisis, insists HH
- We’re a hungry nation because we insist that maize is our staple food
- The corrupt are evil, we must not glorify those who steal from us – Musa
- We can give mine licenses to Zambians, but we also need foreign investors – Musukwa
- Opposition MPs with plots in Forest 27 must give them up – Nkombo
- Lungu was one of my brightest pupils, retired teacher tells court
- It's not LAZ but 2,3 overzealous lawyers challenging Bill 10 - Siliya
- Tutwa leads campaign to impeach LAZ president
- I'm suing Tutwa for alleging that I've been paid to fight govt - LAZ president
- Don’t tell us what to do, if you see hunger, just donate, Lungu responds to British Envoy
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend