by Abraham Kalito on 19 Jul 2018by Mukosha Funga on 19 Jul 2018by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Jul 2018by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Jul 2018
- Goal Diggers
by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 18 Jul 2018by Abraham Kalito on 18 Jul 2018by Abraham Kalito on 17 Jul 2018by Abraham Kalito on 16 Jul 2018
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Jul 2018by Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Jul 2018by Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Jul 2018by Zondiwe Mbewe on 17 Jul 2018
- Editor's Choice
by Percy Chanda, UPND on 15 Jun 2018by Elias Munshya on 11 Jun 2018by Akashambatwa Mbikusita-Lewanika on 31 May 2018by Chibamba Kanyama on 25 May 2018
by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Jul 2018by Mirriam Chabala on 13 Jul 2018by Chense Chola on 7 Jul 2018by Mirriam Chabala on 22 Jun 2018
- Guest Diggers
by Sampa Kabwela on 14 Jul 2018by Chibamba Kanyama on 9 Jul 2018by Netsanet Belay - Amnesty International on 25 Jun 2018by Kalaki on 24 Jun 2018
Electricity tariff increase will leave people stranded – SinkambaBy Mirriam Chabala on 9 May 2017
Green Party president Peter Sinkamba says the increase in electricity tariffs will leave a lot of people stranded because the cost of living is already too high.
And Sinkamba says the increment will also result in high levels of deforestation as people will resort to unsustainable sources of energy.
In an interview, Sinkamba observed that a lot of families were likely to be stranded once the tariffs were effected.
“In terms of the cost of living, already as you can notice the disposable income for most of our people is diminishing very quickly such that people are hardly having sufficient meals. Some of them are actually cutting on their meals because you have on one side the high cost of mealie-meal which is really stranding a lot of families and then on the other side, we have the high cost of relish. So if we increase also electricity by the proposed 75 per cent, it will be extremely expensive for most families. So we must really expect a lot of suffering on the part of the people,” Sinkamba said.
And Sinkamba said the upward adjustment in tariffs would promote deforestation.
“You know, only 22 per cent of the population is connected to the national electricity grid, the other 78 percent is surviving on other forms of energy which by and large is charcoal and firewood. So for us we think that increasing tariffs at the moment could be extremely devastating on the environment and in particular the forest resources because people will start cutting down trees for charcoal and firewood which will lead to deforestation,” Sinkamba said.
“And mind you, Zambia is one of the countries with the highest deforestation rates, our current estimates are that we are harvesting over 800,000 hectors of forests per annum and it is anticipated that in the next two years, if they increase the tariffs then we will be hitting somewhere around 1.2 million hectors per annum. So already we are crying of climate change impact, now we cannot mitigate the climate change impact with this kind of country scheme.”
Meanwhile, Sinkamba suggested that the ERB be scrapped off because it had failed to execute its obligations properly.
“As Green party, we are very concerned that the Energy Regulation Board is used a s a rubber stamp, people are made to make submissions and you find that those submissions are not even given any consideration, the only time ERB used to be effective was when the board started, at the moment that board is a very big disappointment that’s why we are really emphasising our point that we just need to scrap off ERB so that we reduce on the cost of production of electricity and then by so doing, we will reduce on the impact of the cost of power on the households and the cost of living for the people,” said Sinkamba
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam Chabala is a Zambian journalist who covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Austerity measures not meant to punish ministers – Chiteme - 19 Jul 2018
- DEC nabs L/stone woman for money laundering - 19 Jul 2018
- Kalaba wonders why “custom-made” fire tenders couldn’t stop COMESA fire - 18 Jul 2018
- Nga HH chipuba, chipuba chesu – UPND - 18 Jul 2018
- HH must go – Lungu - 17 Jul 2018
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
ArchivesAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend