- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Mwanakatwe to speak at Commonwealth Business ForumBy Mirriam Chabala on 21 Feb 2018
The Commonwealth Enterprise and Business Council has invited newly appointed Finance Minister Margaret Mwanakatwe as a dignitary speaker at the Commonwealth Business Forum to be held in the United Kingdom.
Chairman of the Commonwealth Enterprise and Investment Council Lord Marland of Ostock, Alistair Johnson extended the invitation when he delivered a congratulatory message to Mwanakatwe at her office in Lusaka, Tuesday.
Johnson said the Forum which would be held on the sidelines of the April 2018 Commonwealth Heads of State and Government Summit in London, would also provide an opportunity to showcase the soundness of Zambia’s economic reforms and articulate the progress made in stabilizing economic fundamentals and setting the groundwork for sustained growth.
“At the Forum, investors will not only be keen for updates on Zambia’s growth prospects but also interested in understanding the policy-legislative reforms that you are pursuing to create a stable investment climate. The event will offer Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) opportunities to participate in various activities such as the commonwealth export champion program and to benefit from the commonwealth mentorship programme, ” said Johnson.
Johnson also added that many business sector players in Britain admired the determination of the Zambian government to stand on its own feet through implementation of transformational programs such as the Economic Stabilisation and Growth Programme (ESGP).
And accepting the invitation, Mwanakatwe, who reiterated the country’s recognition of the United Kingdom as its strategic partner, said the Forum would be an opportunity to attract business and solid investment to Zambia.
“We have a significant opportunity to utilize the Forum as a platform for attracting business and solid investment to Zambia. For us it will also be an occasion to articulate our reform trajectory and also a chance to benchmark with commonwealth countries that are doing better than we are at the moment.”
The Commonwealth Business Forum is a global event which brings together Heads of government, ministers, and senior business leaders from around the world. The 2018 event will provide an opportunity for high level dialogue on trade and investment between business and government’s from across the commonwealth and beyond.
The Forum will also be an opportunity to identify areas in which the Commonwealth can help its member countries to access modern financial services, harness technology and innovation, attract inward investment and improve sustainable business practices particularly through private sector collaboration. And others to be visited are Securities and Exchange Commission, Pensions and Insurance Authority, and the Ministry’s grant aided institutions.
Meanwhile, Ministry of Finance Head of Communications Chileshe Kandeta disclosed in the same statement that the newly appointed Minister of Finance yesterday embarked on an orientation programme for her new role.
“The newly appointed Minister of Finance embarks on an orientation programme today (yesterday), she will soon be meeting Zambia’s Cooperating Partners and other players in the financial and economic sectors to engage on matters of mutual development interest. The programme includes visits to the Bank of Zambia, Zambia Revenue Authority, and the Industrial Development Corporation,” stated Kandeta.
And Secretary to the Treasury Fredson Yamba has written to the World Bank, The African Development Bank and the International Monetary Fund, to inform them of the replacement of Felix Mutati with Mwanakatwe as Minister of Finance and as such, Mwanakatwe automatically becomes the governor on the respective boards of the three multi-lateral institutions.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Kariba over-generating power from little water, says Nkhuwa - 28 Feb 2020
- Bill 10 is opposition’s best chance of forming govt in 2021 – Tutwa - 28 Feb 2020
- Gassing a PF scheme to destabilize UPND – Sacika - 28 Feb 2020
- Close some missions if there’s no money, Kambwili tells govt - 27 Feb 2020
- Adopt Green Party’s marijuana business model, Sinkamba urges govt - 27 Feb 2020
- If Lungu doesn’t know, then he’s not in control (6,049 views)
- We’ve arrested 2 gassing masterminds, claims Kampyongo (5,006 views)
- PF lied to Zambians - Sangwa (3,267 views)
- Kwacha hits K15 per dollar again (2,208 views)
- Our salaries have been gassed, laments UNZA workers as they down tools (1,695 view)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «February 2020»
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- PF lied to Zambians – Sangwa
- Chongwe’s advice on Bill 10 too late – Mundubile
- High Court refuses to restrain Dangote from quarrying on Masaiti farmland
- Kariba over-generating power from little water, says Nkhuwa
- ECZ was satisfied with my G12 results, insists Lundazi MP
- Diggers, EIA oppose Lubinda’s application for interim injunction
- Govt hasn’t failed to manage public universities, claims Mushimba
- Bowman’s continued attacks on HH exposing his abnormality – Mucheleka
- Bill 10 is opposition’s best chance of forming govt in 2021 – Tutwa
- Zamtel cleans balance sheet through K390m debt to equity swap with Infratel
- Kambwili condemns Dora for justifying extrajudicial killings
- Gassing a PF scheme to destabilize UPND – Sacika
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend