- by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Police officers pushed ZAF Sgt as he fell on his head, witness tells courtBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 27 Jul 2018
A witness has told the Lusaka High Court that a female police officer ordered other officers at Woodlands Police station to push ZAF flight sergeant Mark Choongwa into a cell where he landed on the floor, hitting the back of his head.
In this matter, Veronica Shawa, 44, a police officer of SOS Humanitarian area, Mike Kapale, 39, of State Lodge, Lyton Mwale, 37, of Mtendere and James Ngulube, 27, of Bauleni township, are charged with manslaughter contrary to section 199 of the Penal Code chapter 87 of the Laws of Zambia.
It is alleged that the quartet, on March 18 last year, whilst acting together, unlawfully caused the death of Choongwa.
When the matter came up for commencement of trial before Justice Mwila Kombe, Monday, Katongo Mulenga, a female business woman currently serving a seven-year jail sentence, narrated that while in detention at Woodlands police station, she saw Sergeant Choongwa being dragged and pushed into a police cell.
She testified that on May 17, 2018, around 22:00 hours Sergeant Choongwa was taken in as a suspect and she recognized him on a personal level.
“When I saw how he was being dragged, I told the arresting officer that I knew him and that he was a ZAF Sergeant and that they should pull him properly. At that point, a female police officer who seemed to be in command, answered and said ‘nivanu ivo vamene muzibana panja’ (I don’t care how you know each other),” she narrated.
Mulenga testified that after pushing Sergeant Choongwa, police officers left him in the cell and when the other inmates noticed that there was a change in his breathing, they started calling for help.
She narrated that when the police came, and upon seeing that Sergeant Choongwa was in a bad state, they suggested that he should be made to sit up.
Mulenga explained that at that moment, Sergeant Choongwa’s breathing had changed and his mouth was foaming.
She narrated that it was then that Sergeant Choongwa was carried out of the cell, unconscious.
And another witness, Silvia Munengwa identified Shawa and Kapali in the dock as being among the police officers that brutalised Sergeant Choongwa.
She said at the time of the incident, she was in detention at Woodlands police station and that she saw Sergeant Choongwa being carried out of the cell unconscious.
The matter comes up on August 14 2018 for continuation of trial.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit - 24 Aug 2019
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president - 24 Aug 2019
- ConCourt has jurisdiction to hear my petition, submits Lundazi Central losing candidate - 23 Aug 2019
- Pathologist testifies in ritual killing case - 23 Aug 2019
- Mwitwa sues Tutwa for defamation of character - 23 Aug 2019
- Mwenye's corruption remarks irk PF (3,599 views)
- ConCourt has no powers to hear Bill 10 - Kalaluka (2,567 views)
- If austerity measures were working, we wouldn't be having these problems – BoZ (2,346 views)
- Zesco announces increased load-shedding (1,659 view)
- LAZ warns Speaker, MPs of contempt over Bill 10 (1,325 view)
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
- High mealie meal prices are an indictment on Lungu – Nalumango
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend