- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contemptBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 25 Aug 2019
The Law Association of Zambia (LAZ) has dragged Lusaka Lawyer Tutwa Ngulube to the Constitutional Court, seeking an order that he should be committed to prison for contempt of court for having issued various statements against its petition.
LAZ also wants an order restraining Ngulube from making any further publications on the matter.
On August 12, this year, LAZ, which is being represented by Simeza, Sangwa and Associates, dragged President Edgar Lungu, the Attorney General and the National Assembly to the Constitutional Court for attempting to alter the Constitution of Zambia through Bill 10, 2019.
But two days after filing the petition, Ngulube recorded himself, charging that State Counsel John Sangwa was masquerading as having repented by taking the petition to the Constitutional Court judges whom he had previously insulted as being ill qualified and embarrassed by circulating their CVs on some internet platforms.
He also said he would not pretend that Sangwa was the best constitutional lawyer that Zambia had ever produced, knowing that he (Sangwa) lost each constitutional matter he took to court.
Ngulube further charged that LAZ president Eddie Mwitwa had been paid by a named institution to fight and embarrass the PF government.
He added that both Mwitwa and Sangwa were lawyers representing UPND leader Hakainde Hichilema in the presidential petition and that the two had failed to win the case and were now trying to use the Constitution to protract their battle against President Lungu.
“We therefore demand that Mr John Sangwa should immediately recuse himself from the court proceedings or if he fails, we will petition the President to remove his rank as State Counsel so that he does not use his position and status in the legal fraternity to fight his personal battles against the President,” Ngulube said among other allegations.
But in an affidavit in support of notice of motion for an order for committal, Mwitwa stated that Ngulube’s statements had created a substantial risk such that the course of justice in the proceedings touching on the petition would be seriously prejudiced.
He added that Ngulube’s remarks were intended to prejudice the administration of justice and to prejudge the issues for determination herein.
And according to a notice of motion for an order for committal for publication in contempt of proceedings before the Constitutional Court, filed by Simeza, Sangwa and Associates, LAZ which has cited Ngulube as the respondent, wants an order that he be committed to prison for his several contempts in making and publishing various statements on the said audio.
LAZ further wants an order that Ngulube by himself or his agents, be restrained until after the judgement in this action, from publishing or writing on any matter, the subject of its petition.
Meanwhile, the Constitutional Court has set August 28 as date of hearing of the petition filed by LAZ.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Cabinet debates total lockdown - 28 Mar 2020
- Zambia’s economy will take years to recover from Coronavirus – Siliya - 28 Mar 2020
- Security guard testifies in MTN employees’ attempted arson case - 26 Mar 2020
- Judiciary cancels Court of Appeal sessions over COVID-19 - 26 Mar 2020
- Sodomy accused Lusaka man gets nolle, turned into state witness - 25 Mar 2020
- Zambian student chased from Chinese University over suspected COVID-19 (24,749 views)
- Sangwa asks Lungu to declare State of Emergency (19,272 views)
- Cabinet debates total lockdown (14,490 views)
- Coronavirus cases jump to 16 (9,285 views)
- Police guard NDC MP after residents threaten to torch him over Bill 10 position (8,610 views)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «March 2020»
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- Cabinet debates total lockdown
- What will be Mr Lungu’s achievements by 2021?
- Chitalu announces 6 more Covid-19 cases
- Zambia’s economy will take years to recover from Coronavirus – Siliya
- LCC not ready for COVID-19, says Mayor
- COVID-19 cases rise to 22
- Topstar removes Prime TV from its platforms
- Empower local pharmacists to manufacture COVID-19 drugs, Kanyika urges govt
- Police guard NDC MP after residents threaten to torch him over Bill 10 position
- Zambian Judiciary disregarded rule of law on Sangwa ban – IBA
- Sangwa asks Lungu to declare State of Emergency
- Castle Lager postpones 2020 Africa 5s due to COVID-19
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend