- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Sep 2017by Mukosha Funga on 23 Sep 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 23 Sep 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Sep 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 23 Sep 2017by Mukosha Funga on 23 Sep 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Sep 2017by Joseph Mwenda on 21 Sep 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 23 Sep 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Sep 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Sep 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Sep 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017by Elias Munshya on 18 Sep 2017by President Edgar Lungu on 13 Sep 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 10 Sep 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
Kalusha angers soccer fansBy Nelson Kazeze on 7 Jan 2017
THOUSANDS of Zambian soccer fans have taken to social media to express their displeasure after discovering that football icon Kalusha Bwalya voted against Rainford Kalaba at the 2016 Glo-CAF Awards Gala.
On Thursday January 5, 2016 Kalaba, who is a Chipolopolo skipper, missed out on CAF African Footballer of the year based in Africa Award.
Kalaba polled 206 votes while Zimbabwean Khama Billiat and Winner Denis Onyango who got 228 and 252 respectively.
But when CAF released a total tally of votes indicating that Kalusha, the former Football Association of Zambia (FAZ) president, put Zimbabwe’s Karma Billiat and Ugandan Denis Onyango ahead of Zambian midfield Maestro Rainford Kalaba today, soccer fans took their rage to social media.
According to posts monitored on Facebook and Twitter, some soccer fans felt that the 1988 African footballer of the year was not being patriotic.
Ephraim Shitima wrote: “Who doesn’t know Kalusha and his belief in maintaining his status as the only Zambian to be crowned Africa footballer of the year 1988, though Kalaba was contesting a different award?”
Kabwe Vhima wrote: “When he was asking for his CAF endorsement letter he said let’s support our own, but once he has that, he uses it to block his compatriots, who does that? Let him not be bitter!!!”
Kajoba Benjamin wrote: “I’m disappointed with the big man and it’s not a surprise cos Kalusha never wants any Zambian player to beat his record, he would rather give a vote to a foreigner than a fellow Zambian. That PHD mentality!”
However, a few came to Kalusha’s defence, saying his votes where on merit.
Bonaventure Yombwe wrote: “One thing people must know is that Kalusha Bwalya sits on the technical committee because of his competences and qualifications as a soccer technical expert not because he is a Zambian. He exercised impartiality and professionalism when he casted the vote. Let’s not create false alarms.”
Kalusha ,who is part of the CAF technical and development committee, gave his first vote to Zimbabwean Khama Billiat giving him five points, while his second vote went to eventual winner Denis Onyango, giving him four points and his third vote went to Kalaba, giving him only three points.
However, the Chipolopolo technical bench gave their full support to Kalaba, giving him their first vote which carried five points.
Kalaba polled 206 votes behind Zimbabwean Khama Billiat and Winner Denis Onyango who got 228 and 252 respectively to lose the award for the second time after making the top three shortlist in 2012.
About Nelson Kazeze
Nelson Kazeze is a Zambian multi-skilled journalist with an emphasis on sports news.
Email: nelson [at] diggers [dot] news
- New Twist: Mayuka stays at Zamalek - 31 Jan 2017
- Zambia U-20 to face Amajita in international friendly - 31 Jan 2017
- Zesco United players pledge to fulfill target - 30 Jan 2017
- Napsa Stars sign Bageya, four others - 30 Jan 2017
- Zamalek wants Mayuka out - 28 Jan 2017
You may also like...
- It has now become a trend for traffic officers to be beaten - Munir Zulu
- Lungu has taken Zambians for fools – Chipimo
- Zambian professor melts hearts for helping single mother baby sit in his class
- It's hard to believe Kambwili's accusations in the absence of evidence - Wynter
- Kampyongo got three cars for awarding fire tender contract to Grandview - Kambwili
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «September 2017»
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend