- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Miti condemns Kampyongo, Mabumba for suggesting extra judicial killingsBy Mirriam Chabala on 12 Jul 2017
The Alliance for Community Action (ACA) has condemned Ministers of Home Affairs and Energy, Stephen Kampyongo and David Mabumba, for ordering police to kill wrongdoers during the Threatened State of Emergency period, without taking them to court.
And UPND whip Garry Nkombo has demanded that Mabumba apologises for giving an unlawful and alarming threat in his debates in Parliament yesterday, saying the Energy minister is known to be a descent man.
ACA executive director Laura Miti observed, in a statement today, that the utterances from the Minsters were inciting extra judicial killings.
“The Alliance for Community Action (ACA) is extremely concerned by the unlawful and alarming threats issued to citizens by two Ministers during the parliamentary debate on the threatened state of emergency. Minister of Home Affairs, Stephen Kampyongo, and Minister of Energy, David Mabumba, threatened citizens with extra judicial killings in the period Article 31 is invoked. Such threats, especially from the Home Affairs Minister who will be responsible for the implementation of the extra powers accorded to Law enforcement agencies in this period, serve only to heighten concern on what the real intentions of government for invoking Article 31 are,” stated Miti.
“They put on display a surprisingly immature and cavalier attitude towards a very serious matter by Ministers. The ACA commends the Deputy Speaker for forcing the Ministers to withdraw the threats on the floor of the House. We further call on the President to censure the two Ministers and assure the nation that the Home Affairs Minister is not issuing unlawful instructions to law enforcement agencies to abuse citizens’ rights which the Minister must know remain in place even under a full state of emergency.”
Meanwhile, Mazabuka Central UPND member of parliament Garry Nkombo says Minister of Energy David Mabumba must apologise to Zambians for suggesting that arsonists should be killed without being taken to court.
And Nkombo says it is not surprising that 85 members of parliament dominated by the PF, voted unanimously to extend the Threatened State of Emergency by three months, in the absence of UPND members yesterday.
“It hasn’t come to us as a surprise because the PF is extremely predictable in the way they do things so we are not surprised at all and we expected that debate to go just the way it did. But what I can tell you now is that the members of parliament have embarrassed the President and if they take what Mabumba said then it will be very embarrassing because we thought he [Mabumba] was a decent man but the things he said were extremely absurd and I am sure that if he has reflected on it he must be apologising for the stuff that he said because it was beneath what most of us though about him,” said Nkombo.
“I think for me the whole country is embarrassed and I am personally embarrassed that the Minister said something like that and I am sure that the President does also have a conscience which can make him to become embarrassed so I will be surprised if the President will say he is not embarrassed by what the Minister said. But again I am not surprised that they [MPs] supported him because it’s in the Presidential prerogative. Otherwise, Mabumba is completely out of rail in my view if he is thinking he was correct and I don’t think that Edgar Lungu’s thinking is that there should be dead bodies all over the streets of this country.”
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- PF’s Nangula victory a 2021 sample – Mundubile - 7 Apr 2020
- Tutwa refutes UPND’s Bill 10 bribery claims - 7 Apr 2020
- SACCORD hails PF, UPND for peaceful Nangula poll - 7 Apr 2020
- We’ve engaged church leaders to persuade Chishala on Bill 10 – NDC - 3 Apr 2020
- Declaration of lockdown requires legal backing, Magande tells Lungu. - 3 Apr 2020
- It’s inhuman for Chanda to undermine HH’s donation of soap, sanitisers – UPND (3,224 views)
- Is Kampyongo suggesting that slim people, like his appointing authority are HIV suspects? (2,708 views)
- UPND blames Nangula loss on COVID-19 (2,244 views)
- Kampyongo's mockery of people on ARVs unacceptable - NAC (2,141 views)
- We’re considering asking landlords to forego rentals amid COVID-19 – Siliya (1,631 view)
- COVID-19 is airborne? Why is Ministry of Health misleading us?
- Is Kampyongo suggesting that slim people, like his appointing authority are HIV suspects?
- We’re already on lockdown – Lungu
- Introduce SI to stop landlords from collecting rentals, Changala urges govt
- Why whip patrons if there's no lockdown?
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «April 2020»
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- It’s illegal for police to whip citizens – Mweetwa
- UNZA owes ZRA, others K2.8bn, as audit reveals mismanagement of funds
- PF’s Nangula victory a 2021 sample – Mundubile
- Tutwa refutes UPND’s Bill 10 bribery claims
- We’re considering asking landlords to forego rentals amid COVID-19 – Siliya
- Govt, FRA’s deal with millers failed to cut mealie meal prices – IAPRI
- Habitat urges govt to improve living conditions in unplanned settlements
- SACCORD hails PF, UPND for peaceful Nangula poll
- ZRA’s tax audit on media houses within its mandate but wrongly timed – MISA
- Kamusoko, Mangani on path to recovery
- Govt must carry out robust awareness campaign against COVID-19 – CSPR
- Siwale welcomes FIFA’s intervention in FAZ wrangles
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
[search_popup]Send this to a friend