by Natasha Sakala on 17 Sep 2019by Tenson Mkhala on 17 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Sep 2019by Mwansa Mambwe in Solwezi on 17 Sep 2019
by Julia Malunga on 17 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 17 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 13 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 17 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 17 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 12 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 17 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 9 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Opposition Alliance will never allow coalition govt, vows KambwiliBy Mirriam Chabala on 17 May 2019
National Democratic Congress (NDC) leader Chishimba Kambwili says his party and the UPND will ensure that the proposed introduction of a coalition government does not see the light of day once its taken to Parliament.
And Kambwili says the proposal by the just ended National Dialogue Forum (NDF) to reduce the election campaigns time is aimed at disadvantaging the opposition political parties who do not have enough resources to go round the country in such a short time.
Speaking in an interview, Kambwili vowed that the opposition alliance would not allow the formation of a coalition government and that NDC and UPND would instruct their members of parliament to walk out of the House once this item comes up for consideration.
“That was a lot of nonsense happening at the national dialogue. That’s why we told people that we should not go to the national dialogue because it had a predetermined outcome. These people have allowed ministers to remain in office until the next elections, meaning therefore, that for them they will have government facilities to go all over the country within 60 days. The President has got a government helicopter and the Vice-President to go everywhere when the opposition don’t get such facilities to campaign within two months. So this is all in the name of rigging elections. And some of us knew that this NDF was predetermined, it’s a lot of nonsense. Everything they have done at that forum is in the favour of PF,” Kambwili said.
“This issue of coalition government is meant to keep PF in power in perpetuity. If PF has got 47 per cent votes in an election and a small party like MMD or even FDD has got four per cent, they can bring that four per cent plus the 47 per cent to make 51 per cent and form government, that is a lot of nonsense. PF know that they cannot reach 50 per cent plus one just by themselves, so they want to bring on board someone that can assist them win. But it should not be a small party to determine who forms government, it should be the people of Zambia. We will never allow a coalition government in this country. The majority of the citizens must elect a government to get in power, a government should not be taken into power by a small political party having very small votes just to add on 50 per cent plus one. So all that they have done is just nonsense.”
And Kambwili insisted that delegates at the NDF were getting allowances from the government coffers for taking part in the forum.
“The Ministry of Justice is refusing that they were not paying allowances but those who came from Parliament where being paid by Parliament. Those who came from government where being paid by their departments in government and those who were not represented in Parliament where paid by ZCID and who funds ZCID? ZCID is funded by the Ministry of Justice. So ultimately, all the people at the forum where paid allowances from government coffers. So everything that they did is all outright nonsense and our only hope now is in the UPND and our MP to walk out and not allow that Constitution to see the light of day,” said Kambwili.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Kambwili is already a dead man, no one can kill him – Mumbi - 13 Sep 2019
- Lungu must take his Parliament address seriously, people are distressed – Mweetwa - 13 Sep 2019
- Quitting politics has nothing to do with my brother’s appointment at BoZ – Chipimo - 12 Sep 2019
- Lungu fires new FIC board chair Siame - 12 Sep 2019
- Unless you kill me, arrests only make me add volume – Kambwili - 12 Sep 2019
- We warned Lungu over his friendship with Valden Findlay (6,759 views)
- Findlay knows Goswami; I've been in their presence before, reveals Kaweche Kaunda (2,943 views)
- British man in court for assaulting Zambian cleaner girlfriend (2,625 views)
- Airtel agent in court for defiling wife’s sisters (2,233 views)
- Bill 10 is nonsensical – Chongwe (2,193 views)
- De-gazettion of Forest 27 doesn’t affect Chalimbana River – Kapata
- Lungu must check his aides, they’ll injure him – KBF
- Zesco is suffering, it’s got no money – laments minister
- My penis doesn’t function, defilement accused tells court
- It’s illogical for companies that don’t pay dividends to bid for KCM – Mumba
- It makes us sad that we can't stick to load shedding schedule - Zesco
- Switch to cheaper food, Wina urges Zambians
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe
- It's impossible to reduce mealie meal prices, brace for harder times, warns GBM
- Airtel agent in court for defiling wife’s sisters
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend