- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
NGOCC calls for multi-sectoral approach to ending GBVBy Ulande Nkomesha on 9 Aug 2019
Non-governmental Gender Organisations’ Coordinating Council (NGOCC) executive director Engwase Mwale says there is need for a coordinated multi sectoral approach to curb Sexual Gender Based Violence.
Last week, Zambia Police released the 2019 Second Quarter GBV Statistics Report, with 6,139 cases reported in the second quarter an increase of 9% or 555 cases compared to 5,584 cases reported in the first quarter of 2019.
Meanwhile, police revealed that child defilement had 583 reported cases in comparison with 734 cases during same period in 2018 which marked a decrease of 26%.
Commenting on these statistics in a statement, Wednesday, Mwale said while a minimal decrease was reported on child defilement cases, there was need for more action to be taken by all stakeholders to curb Sexual Gender Based Violence (SGBV) in all its forms.
“NGOCC calls for a coordinated multi sectoral approach to curb SGBV, which will include all stakeholders: Government, the private sector, the church and civil society. During the second quarter of 2018; 6, 074 cases were recorded countrywide against 6, 139 cases recorded in 2019 showing an increase of 65 cases which translates to 1.1 per cent increase. In comparison terms, the just released statistics show a marginal increase in the overall cases recorded by 65 cases (about 1.1%),” Mwale said.
“NGOCC is disheartened and remains deeply concerned at the rise in the number of GBV reported cases which are even resulting in deaths. It is sad that more women and girls are the worst affected by this vice. It is clear that SGBV is fast becoming a national crisis that is not only causing death but also negatively affecting the productivity of the country. Instead of citizens being more productive, they are spending time care giving and nursing effects of SGBV. Time to act against SGBV Is now. Thus, we call upon all citizens to fight SGBV in all its forms.”
She urged women and girls to report cases of GBV saying it would reduce the number of cases and punish the perpetrators.
“We specifically appeal to the women and girls out there to report these cases of SGBV. We are aware that a number of girls and women are dying in silence at the hands of abusers and perpetrators. SGBV is not only a crime but a serious violation of human rights. We are sad to note that out of the reported GBV cases countrywide, only 604 cases representing 9.8% were taken to court resulting in 83 convictions, 48 were withdrawn at court representing 8% with 3,104 cases withdrawn at Police Stations. This is a worrying picture and more needs to be done to ensure that an efficient and speedy justice system is in place to address the needs of survivors, especially women and girls. It is NGOCC’s view that the country will only see a reduction in GBV cases when perpetrators are brought to book,” said Mwale.
Meanwhile, in an interview, Zambian National Men’s Network for Gender and Development (ZNMNGD) national coordinator Nelson Banda said the network was disturbed that during the same period, 20 women and men lost lives in GBV related murders which could have been avoided if people sought counselling unlike turning to violence.
“We are equally disturbed that during the same period 20 women and men lost lives in GBV related murders which could have been avoided if people sought counseling unlike turning to violence. ZNMNGD is further concerned that 3,104 cases were withdrawn at Police Stations representing more than half of the total number GBV cases recorded countrywide. In response to the ever increasing GBV cases, the ZNMNGD is launching a three year campaign dubbed, “the Trusted Men Campaign”, as a new strategy to build a cadre of men and boys who will serve as positive role models in building positive behaviors for a more gender responsive society. The Trusted men Campaign members will reach out to other men in their own spaces such as Bars, Markets, Bus Stops, Churches, Schools, Political parties and communities with sensitisation messages against GBV,” said Banda.
“The increasing GBV cases in the country challenges all of us at individual, institutional and community levels to take new approaches and strategies to advocate for heightened sensitisation and stiffen punishment such as life imprisonment for defilers and rapists if we are to serve the lives of our women and girls and ultimately win the fight which at the moment seems to be getting out of hand.”
About Ulande Nkomesha
Ulande is a reporter with an experience in radio broadcasting. He loves following current affairs and interacting with politicians.
Email: ulande [at] diggers [dot] news
- I’ll test for COVID-19 on Friday, says Kampyongo - 2 Apr 2020
- Zambia records first COVID-19 death, community infections on the rise - 2 Apr 2020
- Govt forecasts stability in mining sector amidst COVID-19 pandemic - 2 Apr 2020
- Lungu gives incentives to health workers fighting COVID-19 - 2 Apr 2020
- Whipping people patronising bars against human rights – Kasonde - 1 Apr 2020
- We’re already on lockdown – Lungu (30,716 views)
- Kampyongo, Malanji, Lombe in quarantine after suspected exposure to COVID-19 (9,298 views)
- Kwamana for Lungu now, he has to go - KBF (9,025 views)
- Name govt officials who are infected, in quarantine (5,330 views)
- Lusaka woman asks court to declare missing brother dead (5,274 views)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «April 2020»
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- ECZ proceeds with Nangula ward by-election despite COVID-19
- Why whip patrons if there’s no lockdown?
- Former Chipolopolo star Msiska shares his experiences in Zambian football
- About 10 Cancer Diseases Hospital doctors in quarantine
- Kwacha nears 19 per dollar
- I’ll test for COVID-19 on Friday, says Kampyongo
- Zambia records first COVID-19 death, community infections on the rise
- Pharmaceutical Society condemns Lusambo for harassing pharmacies
- About 10 Cancer Diseases Hospital doctors in quarantine
- Govt forecasts stability in mining sector amidst COVID-19 pandemic
- Come and get talk time to continue criticizing me, I won’t stop whipping people – Bowman
- Govt doesn’t yet need Parliament approval to contract debt – Solicitor General
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend