- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probeBy Joseph Mwenda on 11 Sep 2019
Allegations of drug trafficking involving President Edgar Lungu’s close ally Valden Findlay have shaken State House, forcing the release of a coded press statement stating that investigative wings would probe the matter.
The American government, through its Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), extradited renowned African “drug lord” of Indian origin Vijaygiri Vicky Goswami along with the Akasha brothers from Kenya in 2017 to stand drug trafficking trial in that country.
And according to cross examination transcripts from the on-going court case in New York, the detained convict, who has since been turned into a State witness, named Findlay from Zambia as one of the people involved in the criminal syndicate.
This prompted opposition NDC president Chishimba Kambwili to hold a press briefing at his house in Lusaka on Monday where he asked President Lungu to explain his relationship with the accused drug trafficker.
“I want to ask the President to be very honest with the people of Zambia: tell us what business you have with Valden Findlay. The Zambian people want to know what business you have with one Valden Findlay. History has it that Mr Findlay was locked up by Dr Kenneth Kaunda for dealing in drugs. We have seen [Mr President] that whenever you go abroad, when you are alighting from the plane, the next person to come out is Valden Findlay. There are allegations by the people of Zambia and world-over that, maybe, the Presidential trips and the Presidential plane is now being used to courier drugs. This man (Findlay) has been mentioned in drug deals in America. Are we under State capture by Valden Findlay? What business do you do with Valden Findlay, your Excellency Mr President? The people of Zambia want to know!” demanded Kambwili.
In reaction yesterday, President Lungu’s spokesperson Isaac Chipampe issued a one-paragraph statement, without quoting the Head of State or mentioning Findlay’s name.
“State House takes very seriously any allegation related to drug trafficking. Therefore, Zambian law enforcement agencies will take appropriate steps to investigate the allegations in connection with drug trafficking in coordination with all appropriate authorities,” stated Chipampe.
The statement puzzled readers who took to social media to express their discontent.
“Can anyone fill me in on why the presidency is sending us cryptic messages about investigating drug trafficking? Was a stash found in the presidential jet? What’s this about?” asked Alliance for Community Action director Laura Miti.
Douglas Hampande wrote: “When were the drugs allegedly trafficked? Who is alleged to have been involved? Where? How does the matter involve State House? Why a very superficial denial and statement? What is the role of Valden Findlay in the whole saga? Why does Findlay jump on the official Presidential Jet? Why him of all Zambian private citizens?”
Read more about the Goswami trail here https://amabhungane.org/stories/goswamis-sa-mandrax-secrets/?fbclid=IwAR3KrvNjpzE9jgmvsZX9Lk42ijaWGooGSUSsNdcmzhv3LwXP0M35DOA7QFs
About Joseph Mwenda
Joseph is experienced in political news writing, photography and video editing.
Email: joseph [at] diggers [dot] news
- Lungu’s full address: Zambia records 12 COVID-19 cases as lock down looms - 25 Mar 2020
- Govt failing to target resources to key sectors for economic growth – Saasa - 10 Feb 2020
- High Court refuses to stay defamation proceedings against Fresher Siwale - 11 Nov 2019
- Lungu fires new FIC board chair Siame - 11 Sep 2019
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe - 11 Sep 2019
- Cabinet debates total lockdown (19,061 views)
- Let’s sympathise with Lungu and help him, or we will all perish! (18,968 views)
- COVID-19 cases rise to 29 (13,308 views)
- Zambia’s economy will take years to recover from Coronavirus - Siliya (4,191 views)
- Chitalu announces 6 more Covid-19 cases (3,873 views)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «March 2020»
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- I’ll whip anyone found patronising bars, night clubs, warns Lusambo
- Kabwe council orders immediate closure of retail liquor stores
- Church asks govt to remove sanctions on Prime TV
- Zambia’s COVID-19 cases jump to 35
- Step of Faith sues 2 cops, 80 others for straying on its land
- Govt discourages travel to Lusaka as COVID-19 cases rise to 29
- COVID-19 cases rise to 29
- We’ve started mobilizing funds to fight COVID-19 – Ng’andu
- Justice Without Remedy? A Comment on the Constitutional Court Judgment in the Case of Kambwili v Attorney General
- Philosophy & Homosexuality
- Let’s sympathise with Lungu and help him, or we will all perish!
- Cabinet debates total lockdown
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend