by Mirriam Chabala on 19 Nov 2019by Julia Malunga on 19 Nov 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 19 Nov 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 19 Nov 2019
by Natasha Sakala on 18 Nov 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 15 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala and Stuart Lisulo on 14 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 14 Nov 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 17 Nov 2019by Elias Banda on 15 Nov 2019by Abraham Kalito on 14 Nov 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Nov 2019
by Diggers Editor on 19 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 14 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 13 Nov 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 17 Nov 2019by CUTS on 7 Nov 2019by CUTS on 7 Nov 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Oct 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Natasha Sakala on 8 Nov 2019by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019
Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probeBy Joseph Mwenda on 11 Sep 2019
Allegations of drug trafficking involving President Edgar Lungu’s close ally Valden Findlay have shaken State House, forcing the release of a coded press statement stating that investigative wings would probe the matter.
The American government, through its Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), extradited renowned African “drug lord” of Indian origin Vijaygiri Vicky Goswami along with the Akasha brothers from Kenya in 2017 to stand drug trafficking trial in that country.
And according to cross examination transcripts from the on-going court case in New York, the detained convict, who has since been turned into a State witness, named Findlay from Zambia as one of the people involved in the criminal syndicate.
This prompted opposition NDC president Chishimba Kambwili to hold a press briefing at his house in Lusaka on Monday where he asked President Lungu to explain his relationship with the accused drug trafficker.
“I want to ask the President to be very honest with the people of Zambia: tell us what business you have with Valden Findlay. The Zambian people want to know what business you have with one Valden Findlay. History has it that Mr Findlay was locked up by Dr Kenneth Kaunda for dealing in drugs. We have seen [Mr President] that whenever you go abroad, when you are alighting from the plane, the next person to come out is Valden Findlay. There are allegations by the people of Zambia and world-over that, maybe, the Presidential trips and the Presidential plane is now being used to courier drugs. This man (Findlay) has been mentioned in drug deals in America. Are we under State capture by Valden Findlay? What business do you do with Valden Findlay, your Excellency Mr President? The people of Zambia want to know!” demanded Kambwili.
In reaction yesterday, President Lungu’s spokesperson Isaac Chipampe issued a one-paragraph statement, without quoting the Head of State or mentioning Findlay’s name.
“State House takes very seriously any allegation related to drug trafficking. Therefore, Zambian law enforcement agencies will take appropriate steps to investigate the allegations in connection with drug trafficking in coordination with all appropriate authorities,” stated Chipampe.
The statement puzzled readers who took to social media to express their discontent.
“Can anyone fill me in on why the presidency is sending us cryptic messages about investigating drug trafficking? Was a stash found in the presidential jet? What’s this about?” asked Alliance for Community Action director Laura Miti.
Douglas Hampande wrote: “When were the drugs allegedly trafficked? Who is alleged to have been involved? Where? How does the matter involve State House? Why a very superficial denial and statement? What is the role of Valden Findlay in the whole saga? Why does Findlay jump on the official Presidential Jet? Why him of all Zambian private citizens?”
Read more about the Goswami trail here https://amabhungane.org/stories/goswamis-sa-mandrax-secrets/?fbclid=IwAR3KrvNjpzE9jgmvsZX9Lk42ijaWGooGSUSsNdcmzhv3LwXP0M35DOA7QFs
About Joseph Mwenda
Joseph is experienced in political news writing, photography and video editing.
Email: joseph [at] diggers [dot] news
- High Court refuses to stay defamation proceedings against Fresher Siwale - 11 Nov 2019
- Lungu fires new FIC board chair Siame - 11 Sep 2019
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe - 11 Sep 2019
- Lungu must address debt, loadshedding, mealie meal prices in Parley address – CSPR - 10 Sep 2019
- Don’t ask for credit, find who owns 48 houses, APNAC challenges ACC - 9 Sep 2019
- PF youths demand change of presidential candidate, as Mwila insists 'it's Lungu' (8,311 views)
- Standard Chartered closes 5 branches (6,368 views)
- There're no animals left here, we want a mine in Lower Zambezi - Chief Mburuma (2,613 views)
- Sorry Amos, defending a President is a thankless job (2,011 views)
- HH writes IMF, submits economic recovery plan (1,929 view)
- ActionAid demands Lungu’s position on violence report
- Utilize National Health Insurance Scheme funds prudently, ZMA urges govt
- HH writes IMF, submits economic recovery plan
- Lungu’s disregard of ConCourt ruling on ex-ministers shows Zambia has 2 sets of laws – VJ
- Politicking on tribal lines can ignite civil strife, warn CSOs
- National Assembly apologizes to Gary for imposing longer suspension period
- Standard Chartered closes 5 branches
- PF youths demand change of presidential candidate, as Mwila insists 'it's Lungu'
- I don’t understand how we lost - Mwepu
- How Mushimba influenced UNZA to pass his wife who failed 2 medical courses
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend