by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 6 Dec 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 6 Dec 2019by Natasha Sakala on 6 Dec 2019by Julia Malunga on 6 Dec 2019
by Stuart Lisulo on 5 Dec 2019by Natasha Sakala on 4 Dec 2019by Natasha Sakala on 28 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 27 Nov 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 7 Dec 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 6 Dec 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 6 Dec 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 6 Dec 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 6 Dec 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Dec 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Dec 2019by Abraham Kalito on 26 Nov 2019
by Diggers Editor on 8 Dec 2019by Diggers Editor on 6 Dec 2019by Diggers Editor on 5 Dec 2019by Diggers Editor on 3 Dec 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Julius Kapembwa (PhD) on 5 Dec 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 4 Dec 2019by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 22 Nov 2019by Dr Chishimba Mubanga, MSc on 22 Nov 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Sampa Kabwela on 23 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 8 Nov 2019by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019
Police cancel DP event, teargas supporters in SamfyaBy Tenson Mkhala on 2 Nov 2019
Democratic Party has failed to launch their vision in Samfya district after armed police officers from Mansa fired teargas to disperse them.
And party leader Harry Kalaba told his supporters to continue with the fight to remove the PF government in 2021.
Police officers surrounded Samfya Primary School ground, which was the intended venue of the event, around 07:00 hours told the party finance secretary Justine Ngonge and national secretary Precious Ntambu that the police permit had been cancelled.
A few minutes later, Kalaba arrived at the venue and was briefed by a police officer only identified as Chilala that the event was not going to take place.
“Sir, we are telling you that we informed your people yesterday that the permit was cancelled and so we are simply here to inform you that you can not go ahead. Further, we are asking you to accompany us to police station so that we explain to you,” the officer said.
But Kalaba refused to comply, demanding for a proper explanation.
“I am not going with you to the police station. These are my people. They have followed me here and so let me address them. Let me talk to them about what has happened,” Kalaba said.
In his address, Kalaba told his supporters not to blame police for their actions, charging that they received orders from President Edgar Lungu and Chief Mibenge that his party should not go on with the planed vision launch.
“The fight you have is not for you and the police. It is the fight to remove PF government in 2021 and put Harry Kalaba. We are told that this rally won’t take place because police officers have asked us that their boss Edgar Lungu and Chief Mibenge have refused us to go ahead because they want to be eating while, us are suffering,” said Kalaba.
“Here in Samfya you are suffering and you have remained behind in terms of development. For me, what I don’t want is to shed blood. I want to get power in peace. So let us go home and continue with this fight.”
As Kalaba was still addressing his supporters, police offices fired three warning shots in the air before discharging teargas on the them.
Kalaba was whisked away from the podium by party officials to unknown hiding place while police officers continued discharging teargas.
About Tenson Mkhala
Tenson Mkhala is our resident photo journalist.
Email: tenson [at] diggers [dot] news
- Kaizer fails to honour police call-out - 30 Nov 2019
- Wina extols Rosaria - 25 Nov 2019
- There’re no animals left here, we want a mine in Lower Zambezi – Chief Mburuma - 18 Nov 2019
- Police question Radio Phoenix journalist over missing 80 black lechwes - 5 Nov 2019
- Police cancel DP event, teargas supporters in Samfya - 2 Nov 2019
- Kapata to sue Diggers for publishing Mukula smuggling cartel (2,525 views)
- PF blames minister for Lupososhi loss, demands his resignation (2,339 views)
- Govt's attacks against Foote diplomatic gobbledegook - Mpombo (1,785 view)
- Trial continues in ritual killings case involving soldier, traditional healer (1,689 view)
- C5 police arrest 4 robbers who trailed Lusaka woman (1,671 view)
- The braggadocio of a captured humble President
- High Court orders Tutwa to pay Mwitwa damages for libel
- Govt’s attacks against Foote diplomatic gobbledegook – Mpombo
- When the ruling party owns the Constitution making process, citizens lose it – Mwenye
- There’s need to change use of encroached game parks to allow human development – Chitotela
- A bitter sweet message from the U.S Ambassador on gay crimes, hypocrisy
- Kapata to sue Diggers for publishing Mukula smuggling cartel
- I'll retain power in 2021 because I'm humble - Lungu
- PF blames minister for Lupososhi loss, demands his resignation
- Stop dividing us, stay out of politics, Lungu tells clergy
Subscribe For News In Email
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend