- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Dec 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 14 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 14 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 14 Dec 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 14 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 13 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 11 Dec 2017by William Chileshe on 8 Dec 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 14 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 13 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 12 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 12 Dec 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Editor on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 8 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 6 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 2 Dec 2017
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 12 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 5 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 30 Nov 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 29 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 26 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017
Pius Kasolo sues D/Nation for story claiming he wants to succeed LunguBy Mukosha Funga on 31 May 2017
ZCCM-IH Chief Executive Officer Dr Pius Kasolo has sued Daily Nation Newspaper in the Lusaka High Court for insinuating that he had intentions of taking over the Patriotic Front presidency seeking damages for malicious falsehood.
In a statement of claim filed today, Dr Kasolo stated that he had suffered harassment and unnecessary question on whether or not he was contesting the PF presidency.
“On the 23rd day of February 2017, the defendant published an article on page 4 of the Daily Nation Newspaper, volume 3 issue no 1594 entitled ‘Team Pius Kasolo’, an article which was in direct reference to and discussant of the plaintiff. The veracity or truthfulness of the said article were not verified with the plaintiff before it was published by the defendant. The article falsely stated and imputed among other things that the plaintiff had political ambitions to take over as president of the PF, a political party in Zambia and that there was a ‘community of Zambians who believed that the goals and the beliefs of the PF were well embodied in him’ when in fact there existed no such community and there was no factual evidence to that the Plaintiff had any political ambitions to take over the leadership of the PF as alleged,” Dr Kasolo stated.
“The article further falsely and without truth stated that the Plaintiff had worked or had held positions of employment with the European Union and the Zambia Revenue Authority when in fact not. The article further falsely and maliciously stated that that the ‘Plaintiff was the only one outstanding of all the technocrats in Zambia.”
He submitted that the article was meant to alienate him from President Edgar Lungu and the ruling party.
“The false and unverified publication placed the plaintiff in a position of both actual and potential antagonism with the PF leadership and had put and continues to put the Plaintiff at great risk from potential political aspirants, notably that politics in Zambia at many times tend to have varying levels of violence associated with it,” Dr Kasolo stated.
“The false and unverified publication was further meant and intended to isolate the Plaintiff from the Republican President who is leader of the ruling PF, the party in government to whom he renders a service as Chief Executive Officer of a public listed parastatal company the ZCCM-IH Plc.”
He further submitted that he had received countless threats from unknown people and stressful phone calls.
“The Plaintiff being a person of professional public standing has suffered harassment and unnecessary questioning on whether he is challenging the leadership of the Patriotic Front. The Plaintiff has been put in a position that makes him appear hostile to the ruling party, the publication wholly affected the Plaintiff’s professional integrity and caused stress, mental anguish fear and isolation,” stated Dr Kasolo noting that Daily Nation refused to apologise publicly.
Dr Kasolo is therefore seeking damages for malicious falsehood, interests on all sums, costs and any other relief the court might deem fit.
About Mukosha Funga
Interested in good governance and youth empowerment.
- Miles rejoins PF, endorses Lungu for 2021 - 14 Dec 2017
- Solicitor General challenges subpoena against Silungwe - 13 Dec 2017
- Let ZAWA complain about my rat song, not PF – Pilato - 13 Dec 2017
- Falls way villa sues Herve Renard over K742,512 debt - 12 Dec 2017
- Kambwili sues Daily Nation, Sakala for libel - 12 Dec 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «December 2017»
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend